Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

DynaMat and angling Infinity 605cs

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2003, 01:00 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just fitted some infinity 605cs speakers and basically they do sound very good. BUT, they seem to lack low-mid / bass. Treble and vocals are crystal clear but there is really hardly any bass unless I crank up the bass control to +4.

When I move my head forward about a foot I hit a bass node and there's lots of bass there ! Unfortunately this means sitting with my nose on the steering wheel though.

I fitted dynamat around the woofers on my last scooby and that improved things - tighten up the mid as well. But it still deoesn't affect the node position.

I was thinking of angling the woofers more towards the driver with half a spacer. I know I won't be able to angle the node to be perfect, but I seem to be sitting right in the middle of two nodes, one is near the wheel then other is behind my head and about 3 inches up !!

Anyone ever done this (angled speakers towards driver), or has anyone got any recommendations on increasing mid-bass with these speakers?

Cheers
Alex

[Edited by spence7 - 17/04/2003 13:03:43]
Old 17 April 2003, 01:12 PM
Nick1
Scooby Regular

Question

Alex I am fitting these to my STI7 this weekend, did you buy spacers off the shelf or make your own with a jigsaw and MDF?

Cheers

Nick
Old 17 April 2003, 01:25 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Nick - these bad boys bolt straight in.

Basically there's a metal 'ring' supplied with the speaker, which itself has many holes in it some of which line up with the holes used to screw the OEM speaker into the existing black plastic surround.

Once this ring is bolted / screwed to the mount, the woofers have small holed tabs which can then be screwed into the smaller holes on the metal ring. Job done. All you need to ensure is that the foam (supplied) is stuck into the groove on the back of the speaker, which then seals/presses onto the metal ring to cose the gap.

I was thinking of putting some silcone rubber between the metal ring and the OEM surround, because between the speaker and the ring, the foam does the trick, but between the ring and the surround there's no seal as such.

I recommend whilst your at it applying some dymamat (halfords £12.99 for a pair of 'slabs') to the steelwork surrounding the speakers as without it the steel can vibrate and add/substract to the sound.

Oh yeh and I underestimated the power of the infinities, so must now tie down the speaker wire properly otherwise it vibrates !

Hope this helps let me know how you get on and if you get the same problem as me with lack of mid-bass.

Cheers
Alex
Old 17 April 2003, 01:30 PM
Nick1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Alex, I wont be about until Wednesday so I will post you an update then.

Thanks again

Nick
Old 17 April 2003, 01:32 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Nick - no worries..just wanted to add that I have a MY95 WRX.....I'm not 100% that the mounting is the same as the STi's..

Cheers
Alex

Old 17 April 2003, 01:35 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any ideas then on how to improve the mid-bass/punchiness?

Has anyone ever fitted small cabinets to front speakers?

Alex
Old 17 April 2003, 03:11 PM
KST
Scooby Newbie

really seal the door enclosure as much as possible, use sound deadening on the front of the door (the metal part behind the removable door pods) as well as on the back, but i know what you mean about positioning. The inner door metal structure could be covered with marley flashing tape to save a bit of money rather than buy more dynamat.