Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Shark circuit breakers, why are they so crap?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2003, 11:19 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just a bit of a rant!!!!!

Having spent hours finding out what was wrong with my ICE , i thought i would let you good folks on scoobynet know my findings.

My ICE had the following symptoms,

Amps cutting out on a quite low volume, alternator load unsteady.

Having searched for dodgy connections and faulty amps/ headunit and not finding any, i then started testing the splitcharge circuit, to my horror the battery in the boot was discharged, this is a very deep charge marine/lesure batt so took it out to charge up. Having removed the battery the ICE cut out even more, so tested the +12v supply to the amps form the main batt, sure enough this was being cut off by either the split charge relay or the circuit breaker, the relay was fine but the circuit breaker was not, it was cutting the power at around 15/20amps instead of 100amps so i replaced it.

This circuit breaker appeared to be cutting the +12volt supply from the main batt/alternator when the load got to around 15 to 20 amps, then the ICE was running from the second battery in the boot, that is why it was flat. Then when the load went below 15amp (EG quite passage, low volume)the circuit breaker would close the circuit again and you would hear the alternator/engine revs pull down because of the amps needed for the flat battery in the boot and amps, this was a continuous cycle of around 5 seconds on 5 seconds off, it was quite worrying at the time. I was thinking that there was a fault in the alternator.

The circuit breaker that was replaced was from maplin and of the shark type 100amp this is the second one that has done this, the other one just flipped out and would not reset.A new one cost £9.99p but this fault took a good 4/5 hours to find, just glad that i did not have to pay anyone to find the fault otherwise a 10 quid part could have cost a lot more in labour costs.

Has anyone else had problems with circuit breakers going faulty or is it just my luck!!!!!!!

BigRed
Old 23 March 2003, 03:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I switched to using fuses for a startingly similar reason - plus the voltage drop is less on a fuse in some cases.
Old 23 March 2003, 05:43 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Time to dump both circuit breakers them and get fuses instead!!!!!
Old 24 March 2003, 02:47 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never had any probs with my 100 odd amp one and have run 70a through it...

(Checked with a clamp meter)

David