Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Car HiFi Centre as advertised in Evo

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 1999, 10:50 AM
stan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered a radio cassette last Tuesday after seeing the 2 page advert in April's Evo magazine. Chased the order today and was told that the company had gone out of business on Tuesday evening - nice. Funny thing was that the phones are diverted to a company called In phase Audio based in Nottingham who are happy to take new orders. Sounds very suspicious.

Any one had any dealings with either of these companies ? I paid by credit card so I'm protected but still lacking a decent r/c. Can anybody recommend a mail order supplier for an Alpine r/c ?
Old 16 March 1999, 07:43 PM
yee_har
Scooby Regular

Holy Moly!
I bought a Rockford Fosgate amp. off them a month ago and it's been o.k. so far.
The serial number is "nnnn00000-01" (either I'm lucky or it's a fake - but if you were faking it would you use such a round number!?) and it didn't come with it's RF QA "Birth Certificate".
Must dash (no pun intended) will edit this later with more detail....

OK - back now! Look for my previous posting "Grey Imports for Grey Imports?" (widen display to "Posts in last 30 days").
The amp was £199 instead of £299, I asked a few other questions on web and heard from one happy punter who said his receipt was in the name of "New Image Car Hi-Fi" or similar; mine was also in another companies name - possibly the one you now mention.
I had had major reservations about it being B-stock or Grey but the eventual consensus was that one or more franchised dealers were letting them sell off their end of MY stock.
Question - is the "replacement" dealer keeping with the Car Hi-Fi Centre's advertised prices?

[This message has been edited by yee_har (edited 17-03-99).]
Old 17 March 1999, 12:25 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

That explains why they would not answer the phone at all last week. Well there you go.

For a different supplier try Hendon Car Stereo Centre - 0181 203 5225

I have used them and they seem very helpful - prices are competitive and eveything arrived on time okay - no imports or funnies

Just watch out for their 24 hour delivery service - I think it's run by Trig from Only Fools and Horses as it's 24 hour, but only during the week.
Old 17 March 1999, 02:21 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

If you look at the aforementioned advert carefully, it states in big red letters;

GENUINE SAVINGS UNTIL FEB 28th 1999....

In the APRIL edition of EVO???
Old 17 March 1999, 03:57 PM
stan
Scooby Regular

I obviously didn't interpret the big red message correctly, i.e. "Offer ends 28th Feb 1999" means "We're closing down on March 10th 1999". According to Evo's advertising team there was another 2 page slot booked for May's issue so watch out.
Old 18 March 1999, 08:39 AM
Steve Earl
Scooby Regular

I bought a Kenwood head unit and CD changer from them at the end of Feb. The unit turned up, but with no paper work. Checked my Barclay Card bill I had been charged TWICE. Phoned them up and they said it had been a "Clerical Error" and would refund the payment immediatly and send out all the paper work. After reading the intial post contact BC to check the refund had gone thru, like hell it had. BC are now investigating and are sending out the forms so I can get the money credited back onto my card.

The moral of the story pay by Credit Card, at least then you have some protection against this sort of thing.

Jinxy

Last edited by Dougster; 16 January 2004 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18 March 1999, 09:36 AM
tel
Scooby Regular

I bought an Alpine head unit and CD multi-changer in December off them,I went in person and had no problems, although I think the Alpine stuff was form Germany not the UK. I also mail ordered some Infinity speakers from In-Phase again with no problems, reading this I think I may be in the minority!
Old 19 March 1999, 11:09 AM
Andy Hedges
Scooby Regular

I have always been very suspicous of these magazine adverts promising cut price ICE. I have always brought my ICE off of reputable dealers as I don't mind paying that little bit more, for the peace of mind. Just a bit of name dropping really, Darren or Dave at Safe n' Sound are brilliant, I have let them do all of my Audio in the scoob and they have done a really top class job. (0181 2880181). They know exactly what they are doing and sell some top class kit. If there is another meet held in Surrey soon, then I will be more than happy to demo my system.