Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

sounds ****

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 09:16 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, I have just fitted new front speakers, infinity 605's and have a pioneer 7400 headunit. It sounds really naff. The stereo has lots of options for treble and bass. Any suggestions for settings, I appreciate personal taste is involved. I mainly kisten to radio and a bit of R & B. No comments on that thanks. Other help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Marc
Old 20 February 2003, 09:30 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

no grunt from the head unit and full range going to the fronts in short.

nothing wrong with a bit of rnb.! I had destiny's child blasting out the other day (borrowed from the wife!!!) really good vocals up front and kicking bass from the sub. nice.

if you want to do it justice then cut the bass off, get a sub, amp it up, and use the rca from the head unit. the probem with internal amps is that they're just crap - too small, no power, distort easily - nuff said. an external amp dedicated to the job is what you'll need.

cheers
Old 21 February 2003, 08:04 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the reply, already got amp and sub, no box for it yet. Haven't got round to fitting it yet.
Best by a box or get making.

Cheers

Marc
Old 21 February 2003, 10:34 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

what sub have you? the jl website is pretty good for enclosure volumes, but you should have a guide if you bought it new. I built mine with mdf (only a fiver). make sure you really seal the enclosure otherwise it won't be accurate.
cheers
Old 22 February 2003, 05:45 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Sub is some american thing I think, it's from a clio williams I had a few years ago so could be knackered. I'll have a look in the garage, no instructions for that or the amp which I know has built in crossovers and the wiring still attached from when I took it all out, will post when I've looked at what they are. Cheers again.
For making the sub box what thickness wood did you use and what sort of size, any air holes at all.
Cheers

Marc
Old 22 February 2003, 11:00 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Use 18mm (3/4 inch) MDF for enclosures, this is avaliable from B&Q etc some even cut it to your sizes for free!!!!!! (I get all mine from work being a joiner for next to nowt). Screw and glue the enclosure with PVA wood glue this can help seal the box and adds strength,Seal the enclosure with decorators caulk (acrylic filler) or silicon, make sure you put a good bead around all the inside of the box them smooth it down with your finger pushing it into the corners (can be messy). Use self-adhesive draught seal around the speaker before screwing it down to the box,this give a good seal around the speaker. Dont know about port lengths box size etc, you will need speakers spec for this, if the enclosure is wrong it will sound like a walrus on heat!!!!!!
Old 22 February 2003, 11:22 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Boy, you must have made a bad box in the past!!! Lucky g!t still living in Nottingham, everthing u need for car steza is up there in a 5 mile radius, not like here
Old 23 February 2003, 10:28 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Cool

15" mtx thunder pro in a self made 3.5cu foot box ,kenwood 923 amp, shakes the **** out of half of nottingham (and the scoob)when turned up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made may a box in the past from small (10") subs to monsters like above, well worth the effort though if you like to have gut shakin' bass!!!!!!!!

[Edited by BigRed - 2/23/2003 10:31:44 AM]
Old 23 February 2003, 11:18 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Yours isn't the white scooby wrx with blue lights and 'p-o-l-i-c-e-' written on the side is it?

Old 23 February 2003, 11:47 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If the sound is really "tinny", you might have the front speakers wired out of phase... (one speaker has been connected back to front)......

A sub will help BIG time!!!

Dan
Old 23 February 2003, 06:32 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Was just thinking of phase as well!
It's worthwhile putting something on with a good bit of bass, & shifting all sound to the front left. Then shift it over to front both - you should get the same or more bass - less & they're out of phase. Then move on to rear left & then add to the right & check. Once those are ok, check front to rear in the same way. I find it easier to do one side only front to back (so front left only & adding in rear left) rather than both at the same time, but that might jsut be me! Easy way to sort through them, anyway.
Some systems are easier to notice the phasing than others.
Adding a sub to a system when the speakers are out of phase just makes it a very expensive pile of cack, so I'd check this first!
Old 23 February 2003, 09:39 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for all the replies, day off tomorrow so will take car apart again and have a look at all the connections. Does sound really tinny and I thought the 605's were good so am surprised that the oem actually sounded better than the new ones. Thanks again for all the advice.

Marc