ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

What speakers & amp

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 10:45 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've recently purchased a Clarion DXZ928R for my 99 and have read the other posts as to what speakers people seem to go for, what fits, what dosen't, do's and don'ts and more confused than ever.

The Focals look a good choice bet for the front, but what model, I'm not interested in paying the Dynaudio prices. At the same time I want a pair that are going to fit when I rip the doors apart and sound good, not like the cheap crap in there by default.

Should I get an amp?, do I change the rears and I'm not interested in fitting a sub.

It's very difficult to emulate sound fields by getting a demo in a store, there is just no comparison, not like home cinema, the space confinement is a complete throw off. It's also difficult to go somewhere that has the speaker you are looking for with the stereo you have. I've also heard that some of the 165 Focals are being updated.

I'm a home cinema enthusiast, not car audio and any guidance would be appreciated.

Mark
Old 09 January 2003, 12:31 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Focals are a good choice, and the only problem with them is the fact that they are deep, whatever model you opt for. You'll need to make collars with mdf, and I would suggest the 136 range as I think that the 165 are too big to fit unless you start carving up the door.

They work best when driven, so if you buy any decent speaker upgrade at all, then you're not getting the best by any means unless you amp it up. The problem with car audio v home audio is that the speaker you have at home are in their optimum enclosure, allowing decent bass, and unfortunately its very difficult to replicate this in the fronts - but sealing and deadening the doors will help immensley. Since they handle about 70w rms, a 4 channel amp also powering some rears that can give more bass such as 6x9(due to having the boot as an enclosure) with the higher frequencies cut off would be a good place to start - definition in the front and bass from the rear.

To give you an idea, the setup in my my98 is focal 136 polyglass fronts, infinity rears, 12" jl. the fronts and sub are powered off a Phoenix Gold ZX450 and the rears from the head unit, which kicks out a healthy 60w (max). Hope this helps.

cheers
Old 09 January 2003, 09:06 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with everything Si said... Nothing more to add really as most things are covered there
Old 14 January 2003, 12:18 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

As far as an amp goes, I tend to buy secondhand ones as they depreciate in rpice and you can easily find bargains out there that'll save you a lot of money. What I would do is look for a four channel, and consider running either 6x9 or a pair of 6" or 8" subs in the rear shelf if you can really do without the need for definition in the rear (for backseat passengers sake that is, as you'll have all your definition up front).

Focals are quality speaker, so I would go for a half decent amp along the lines of Rockford, Phoenix Gold, Genesis (could try the profile 4 for 300 quid new).

I would get some advice from a reputable installer on this kind of set up as I have always gone for the 12" sub for bass, rather than any other measure - best drive around a few and speak to them; I've found 2 in my area that are really helpful while the other is just arrogant and over priced.

good luck

Cheers Nick

[Edited by Si.t - 1/14/2003 12:21:06 AM]
Old 01 December 2003, 07:16 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for this, what makes of amp should I be looking at any anyone know a good fitter/supplier in my area.

Thanks

[Edited by mark.coleman - 1/13/2003 1:04:00 PM]