Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 11:59 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it realy necessary to take out the back seat to replace the rear speakers!!

The seats in mine dont fold down or split, as its a solid rear bulkhead. I cant see how I would get it out to be honest. Can I just force the plastic covers off the parcel shelf, and inscrew the existing ones?

Also, what rears are people running with these days, for a MY99 4 door. I dont have or want an amp, just some decent coaxials I think, costing no more that £150.

cheers.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:05 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I think you do have to take the back seats out, as you need to get at a silightly larger area of the rear shelf than just under the plastic covers. They are attached to the parcel shelf cover quite well, and I think you'd end up damaging both the plastic bit and the shelf cover, no matter how careful you were...

I've never tried this (I removed the seats) but it could be possible to spring the little plastic clips that hold the whole shelf cover on from inside the boot, and then push it up in the middle so that you can get it to come off in one section. The seat removal makes it easier to get at the front edge of the shelf - that's all.

Old 08 January 2003, 10:13 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

You're gonna have to remove the rear seat because of the overlap behind the seat. Even with it removed the shelf removal is hard the first time cause the felt at the back of the shelf will be stuck to the window's glue.
Old 08 January 2003, 04:26 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

I prised out the grills without taking anything apart. The grill lugs are held with small metal 'grip washers' that sandwich the cardboard of the shelf. Some gentle persuasion with a wide/flat screwdriver popped off the grills and you just unscrew the speakers. Granted, you can't reuse the washers but the grills just rest in the existing lug holes and don't move about at all.

Alex
Old 08 January 2003, 04:56 PM
scoobystan
Scooby Regular

hey there,
Just had an acoustic shelf made for my type r v5 sti, instead of a crap metal platform to mount my 6x9s i now have a **** hot shelf made of plywood and upholstered to match the car, i will get a pic of it and post it for you to all see.
It is also soundproofed very well and sound like 2 subs rather than anything, i have also turned off the high pass filter from my amp to these speakers and let my Nakamichi components deal with this, all i need now is soundproofed front doors a soundproofed boot and a couple of subs, i go for quality in music and not quantity it is much better, also so a musician so i love my music.
Old 09 January 2003, 11:22 PM
TCMY95
Scooby Regular

Nuclear

not sure if yours is the same but I have the MY95 and I have got JBL's on my back shelf....they are such a snug fit that you dont need to screew or glue (although dab would make it certain)you just pop them into where the original used to b and they just fit and grip..wow

They are about £90 and are 3 way..dont know the model cos I have had them ages but I do no this, JBL use Titanium tweeters = Crisp treble. 93db as well so you dont need an amp for them to perform..

compare these against the speakers you was going to buy

regards

Ian
Old 09 January 2003, 11:28 PM
TCMY95
Scooby Regular

Although I agree with scoobystan a micro density fabric(mdf if you watch changing rooms or wood are the best solution for acoustics in that order...!!

Ian