ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

How does it come out?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2002, 03:41 PM
Brian 1947
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My import 1998 Forester T/tb has a rather nice Kenwood CD/Cassette/ Radio unit fitted within a polished wood surround. I believe the expression'double din' is appropriate. However, being a JDM radio it is rather limited in the UK. I want to replace it with a single din CD/Radio but have no idea how to remove it. I believe that it will be held in place by small spring clips that are released by inserting a blade between the unit and wood surround. Does anyone know the position of these clips or if it is fixed in some other way?
Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Brian
Old 30 December 2002, 02:32 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Brian - most (if not all) Kenwood units have similar 'keys' for removal. They slide in to release the retaining clips as you say. (not the sort of thing you can knock up after 10 minutes in your shed I'm afraid). Best thing I can suggest is drop into your local ICE shop and ask them to pop it out for you (& sell you some keys if you need them). You should be able to get a face plate to convert the double to single din.

Good luck

Alex
Old 30 December 2002, 09:10 PM
Dremel
Scooby Regular

I've just replaced my double din unit with a single din, in my inported GTB esate. If the dash is similar to mine, you need to remove the wood effect surround first, then there are 4 screws that hold the unit in place.

Dremel.