Fitting replacement speakers, plus any info about Sound Advice in Wembley

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2000, 11:57 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

I've got a new head unit, ready to go into the car. I'm planning to get some new speakers to go with it (mids for the rear, component system up front).

I am considering using Sound Advice in Wembley, but I'm not too sure about the rough estimate they gave me for the work - 2 days! Seems a bit excessive, but I thought I'd verify this with the cognoscenti as I haven't got much of a clue when it comes to audio fitting.

All I know is I don't want a repeat of the fiasco that was my alarm installation. If anyone has any opinions about this firm, I'd love to hear them. They are the same company as Car Audio Design (www.caraudiodesign.co.uk).

TIA

- mike =-
Old 08 February 2000, 04:12 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I cannot comment on Sound Advice but I had all my installs done by Prestige in Rayners Lane.
Heres their number 0181 868 3300 .
Old 08 February 2000, 11:25 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Mike, I've visited them and bought my head unit and changer with no problems.

I've also experienced their mail order which wasn't so good -- ordered rear speakers last Tuesday afternoon, said I needed them for the weekend, they said 'no problem'. Come Saturday morning they still hadn't arrived and I had a booking with my local car audio shop for fitting along with the changer. I phoned them and they said they'd had a few problems with their courier recently and they'd chase them up. After an hour they said the courier still couldn't trace the package so I cancelled the order explaining that they were no use to me and I'd pay a bit more from my local audio shop to ensure I got my audio sorted this weekend. They phoned me today at work saying that they were out of stock on the speakers and I had to remind them that on Saturday I'd cancelled the order. Hmmmm! If I have any problems with the money being put back on the credit card I'll post it here.

Since you asked for opinions I'll give you my opinion of them: they seem great at offering cheap kit, but after my good experience with my very helpful local audio shop I get the impression that in comparison they wouldn't be so helpful with installation.

When I was in the shop buying the head unit a guy came in asking them if they could fit a head unit he had. The guy behind the counter was vague with a price for fitting, not particularly helpful and in no way enthusiastic.

I really hope they don't mean 2 days of work (ie around 15 hours) for installation, my local audio shop charged me for about 5 or 6 hours to fit component front speakers including dynamat in doors, rear speakers and autochanger (I did the head unit since it's very easy). If all they can give you is a rough estimate for the work then I'd go elsewhere.

In case it's of use to you or anyone else I'll recommend the place I used: Top Banana Audio in Fleet, Hampshire.

Paul
Old 09 February 2000, 01:29 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Paul. I think I'm going to avoid them, from what I've heard that two-day estimate is a joke and the "no enthusiasm" vibes were there when I spoke to them too. Gonna speak to Saj @ Riverside next. They're more local to me, and having a BBS member on the staff is a big confidence booster.

Best regards,

-= mike =-
Old 09 February 2000, 09:55 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike

Speak to me but not at the shop give me a call on 0973 110474 after 7 in the evening.

Cheers

Saj
Old 11 February 2000, 06:36 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mike

CAD/Sound Advice are fine for bargain hunting but you need pros for the install bit.

Beware of using certain audio dealers...i know of 2 in South London who will install your gear and suss your motor....a short while later your car will be broken into and all the ice they sold you will be knicked!

Speak to Saj me thinks!
Old 12 February 2000, 07:09 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Sunlip,
Please tell me that CAD is not one of them!
I've just bought a head unit and CD changer from them but they insisted that I gave them my home address - "for warranty" they said.
Thanks in advance!

Trending Topics

Old 12 February 2000, 08:38 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Had no problems with CAD.

They delivered my new Pioneer MD head unit next day even though they didn't have any in stock when I ordered.

They also will play along with the same game as I play with insurance companies. i.e. keep phoning them back with a quote 20 pounds lower than anybody else etc. to get a good deal. They are authorised dealers for most stuff (except I think Alpine), so the warranty will be actually be worth something.

So I usually order from the cheapest, authorised source (usually mail order) but get local advice to help install and for cables etc. I actually install all my own stuff, so cannot comment on installations.

Cheers

Ian Watkins
Old 14 February 2000, 01:16 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all who have replied. As it goes, Saj is looking after things, all for a *very* competitive price (one TCR discount vendor came over all giddy when I asked him to match one of Saj's prices, but that's another story...)

Anyway, another BBS success story!

Best regards all,

-= mike =-
Old 19 February 2000, 06:56 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Subrussian,

CAD are fine....its certain other outlets!
Old 19 February 2000, 10:29 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike, but please all remember we may not be the cheapest but we are very busy so that must mean something?

So who is going to start with the comments?

Saj
S3 WRC
Old 21 February 2000, 04:23 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Prstige are among the best in the country if you. But very expensive.

I hear a lot of bulls@*^t from dealers and when I pick them up on the electronics and the theory they all come unstuck. Bob Hobson at prestige did not and never will.

The man is Mr. Car audio and has every award to prove it. But he charges, big time.

I know of people whose woodworking and finishing skills I would put up there with him at fractions of the cost but they are not local to London.

If there is anything else that I can help with let me know. If I dont know something then I can find out, I have links with BBG and prestige.
Old 21 February 2000, 06:31 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Adam

Very true Bob at Prestige is very knowledgeable. And he has every right to charge what he charges.

Saj
S3 WRC