ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

WRX Audio

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2000, 09:41 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Im not happy with the sounds in my MY93 WRX.

I currently have a Panasonic CQDFX 355 head unit, JBL GTO 963 6x9s, JBL 2 channel amp and a pair of Infinity Reference in the front running off the head unit (which sound well tinny).

Can anyone suggest an upgrade. My options are: run the 6x9s off the head unit and the fronts from the amp or buy some components for the front (if so which ? max £100).

Alternatively what about fitting a sub?
The car rattles badly to start, but more sound may just mask it !

Ive put some foam behind the front doors which helps, but the back shelf rattles badly. Is it possible to do an MDF acoustic shelf for the Impreza, if so has anyone got any info??

Thanks in advance, Richie

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 21-02-2000).]
Old 21 February 2000, 10:53 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evenin'

the JBL 963's always seem to do well in the mags, but are a budget speaker.

First off, since it wont cost anything apart from time, try the fronts on the amp. I must say its bizarre your setup - most people would have run the rears from the head unit in the first place !

Can't see you getting a decent amp for £100 unless you go the 2nd hand route. No point shelling out for a cheap "purple paint mosfet" amp ho ho get what you pay for.
Can't see you getting decent components for £100 either.

Most speakers below £100 are designed for the budget user - to be run from a head unit.

A sub would be good - (if your amp has a x-over) could run the fronts off the amp on a highpass (ie little bass) and use the sub for the bass..a much cleaner sound and more volume without distortion since your fronts wont be trying to reproduce bass..

acoustic shelf ? is yours a saloon or a wagon ? if its a saloon then you just need to bolt the shelf down properly or use some foam under it..if its a wagon then yes a shelf would be good..I would imagine that it would be knackered if already carrying 6x9s

if there isnt a shelf available you can arrange for your car to be used as a model....