ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY 99 Speaker Upgrade - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2000, 03:43 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have a MY99 Impreza Turbo and have replaced the standard head unit with an Alpine CTA-1505R (4x55w).

Due to time constraints I didn't upgrade the speakers at the same time, but now am desperate to upgrade them. I would appreciate to hear of anyone’s experiences and recommendation re which speakers to have installed (no particular budget limit) and where in the South London area would I get some good advice/expert fitting service.

Thanks in advance....
Old 06 February 2000, 03:28 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

If you have no particular budget limit then check out what Lee Christie did to his car at
Old 06 February 2000, 07:14 PM
Pilot
Scooby Newbie

Hi, I started in my MY99 with 4 new speakers made by MB Quart. Front set separate tweeter/woofer. I also bought a GOOD 4 channel amp by Rockford fosgate and a sony headunit.
The result is good regarding the investment. In the near future a small sub.

have fun
Old 06 February 2000, 08:53 PM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

I agree with Stong: outline your plans if you can, and a budget, and everyone will dive in. Failure to do this can result in tours aroung the houses...

Saying that, I run the CD Technologies stuff mentioned above and a JL Audio 10W6 sub. MB Quart is also top stuff - basically, there's a lot of choice and a lot depends on what sort of sound you like: I find the CD Tech stuff extremely neutral, which suits me. Others prefer a more "in yer face" presentation, which again can lead to a great sound.

It seems there must be a few people out there with decent systems - sounds like it could be worth an audition at the next big meet, or just try to listen to as much as possible (in any car) to see what tickles your fancy. Ignore the demo stands, they're no illustration of what a speaker will sound like in a car!
Old 07 February 2000, 07:30 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK Chaps, the kind of upgrade I am looking to perform is a speaker only upgrade probably in the region of approx £300'ish, but not restricted.

I am therefore looking for the best speakers to compliment the head unit I have, without the need for additional amps. I am not looking for a sub-woofer solution.

Just as important is the name of someone who will do a good job on the vehicle.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07 February 2000, 11:48 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi

I also have the Alpine 1505 unit. I got a good installer in Bristol, which is a little too far for you. Speakers are components in the front, coaxials in the rear - all hidden under the standard grills. I'm using Infinity speakers front & rear. I find them a little splashy & wish I'd gone for Alpine DDrives. You are welcome to hear my system, but I am in Somerset. Speaker prices were around £400 ish. Turning the volume up past "13" gets you distortion on BBE level 3 & "pop" equalizer setting. Volume 13 is just about ok for Motorway use.
Old 08 February 2000, 04:03 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

heh heh I have the 1505 too..can go to volume35 sub15 without a prob...

seriously, back to the thread !

if you are certain an amp is out then the efficiency rating of the speaker is probably the most important. no point having 4x55w if you're speakers are only 70% efficient !

again i would recommend

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2000, 11:38 AM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

I would recommend Alpine speaker:

16 cm components for the front, with the tweeter positioned behind the door handle grill.

16cm coaxial for the rear shelf.

These should set you back no more than £200 fitted.

If you spend proportionally too much on the speakers, then the sound will be worse.
Old 16 February 2000, 10:47 AM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Question

Can anyone recommend a good supplier/fitting service in the S London / Kent area?