Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

1" sheets of sponge for the doors

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2002, 12:09 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my old MY95 I fitted Infinity 605cs in the doors along with the usually deadening dynamat type material and deading spray for the door skins. This was great but I was only ever 99% happy as there was always a vib/rattle although very faint. I stripped the door panels off about 3 times, to add more deadening material but never cured it. The rattles just seam to come and go depending on the volume.

What I want in my new car is exactly the same setup but this time, to finish the job properly, I want to put a sheet of 1" sponge between the door panels and the door skins to stop any movement/rattles/vibes.

Where can I buy sheets of sponge. I think it needs to be about an inch thick. Has anyone tried this? How much should I pay?
Old 10 November 2002, 09:28 PM
warbs
Scooby Regular

I've done this.

1 inch is way to thick - unless your expectin to nail the door panel back into place!

I used the foam underlay from that cheap laminate flooring that's popular. It's much thinner than you would expect - maybe 2 mm. But it works a treat. Remember anything that's vibrating at the moment will be almost touching already - so the gap is not likely to be that big to start with.

If you really want to try the thick stuff check out Leicester Market, that's where I got mine from on the first attempt. Get some leopard skin material for the dash whilst your at it!

Cheers

Chris
Old 10 November 2002, 11:04 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

excellent ideas, thanks 4 the info
Old 11 November 2002, 12:10 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Another trick is to run a small collar of blutak around the collar on each of the little trim clips to stop them moving. This stopped the rattle I sometimes got with my bugeye at high volumes (high enough to drown out engine/exhaust noise at 5krpm). Cheap and easy if you have the trim off. Sure I saw it here somewhere first (Nick?)