Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Easy rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 11:40 PM
andyol
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is a somewhat emotive subject but here goes.

16cm JBL speakers will drop straight into my 95WRX rear shelf. Of course you have to just about dismantle the rear interior to change them but there is no need for MDF adaptors or the like. Just drill the steel insert for the new JBL's and you are sorted.

Just one problem....the wooden shelf that holds the speaker grills will rest on the top of the JBL's. Looking at it this will be a problem with alot of speakers. Not wanting to make things difficult for myself I came up with the following. First up I am assuming we don't want to fit the grills supplied with the JBL's ( again as with most after market speakers the grills look naff). What I did was release the original grill from the wooden shelf (very easy) and mounted them 5mm off the the speakers, giving them room to move without pushing into the underside of the grill. This was easily done by gluing some Aluminium angle (B&Q) to the grill mounts and sticking them to the steel shelf under the wooden 'stealth' shelf. I know this sounds a bit Blue Peter but it doesn't look at all bad and although it required a bit of wrestling to get the grills in it wasn't too bad.

Anyone taken the front door panels off a 95 WRX? Need to change front speakers because the last thing they are doing is adding any zest :-))

Andy