Blaupunkt install MY02

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2002, 06:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I thought people might be interested in seeing this:

This is blaupunkt Los Angeles MP72 - plays CD-RW, multimedeia cards etc, plus the blaupunkt in-dash changer. The changer will fit all the blaupunkt range except possibly the most basic, and strikes me as the ideal answer to the "what do I do with the second DIN slot" dilema.

Know I've threatened before, but got my hands on a decent digital camera at last!
Old 29 September 2002, 11:19 PM
SteveH
Scooby Regular

Question

Looks good, I took my double din unit out from my MY02 STI this weekend, thought I would put my Kenwood Mask unit in. Trouble was, the unit is too tight a fit and will show it workings if I mount it farther in. So, I have been trying to make up my mind as to the best option. Looked at Double Din units but no MP3 and none are Kenwood new CD Changer needed. Then saw your photo and for only slightly more than a double din, I can get both the changer replaced and get MP3.
Questions: Other than the two units did you need to buy anything else? Do the Blau units use the original screws to hold them to the side plates. Was it a straightforward fit?

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 30 September 2002, 12:14 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Only other bit I bought was the autoleads wiring adaptor (about £10), which I would have done for any make of head unit.

The blaupunkt isn't super friendly with mounting holes, but it has enough to get by if you don't mind butchering the metal mounting panels slightly. I hacksawed & filed off the "fold over" bit at the top of them, and drilled a couple of new screw holes (in the brackets - not the stereo!). IIRC I used some original Scooby screws & one or two other odd ones I had lying around - anything that would fit into the holes in the side of the blaunpunkt bits. There are no doubt neater solutions, but that worked OK as a quick and easy DIY.
Old 30 September 2002, 03:58 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Steve

Clarions fit straight in using original mounting holes. Don't do an in dash cd, but if you want MP3 that should n't be an issue.

Got one in my STi7, the more expensive ones have auminium fronts which make the dash look kinda cheap!!
Old 06 October 2002, 11:02 AM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Interesting . This is a combination I've considered to replace the double din unit in the MY02 STi. Whats the sound quality like? Are you running it with the standard speakers? Did you notice much of a difference?

So how easy is it to use? I take it the head unit has a motorised flip down front....any chance of a photo of it down.

Sorry for all the questions but would be interested to hear your comments .

Mark
Old 06 October 2002, 03:29 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mark - no I'm not running it with the standard speakers; the standard speakers aren't a lot of cop IMHO, and I don't think anyone else here would disagree. I've got kenwood dual mags in the front foors, Pioneer magnesium cones in the back doors, and a fairly liberal sprinkling of dynamat extreme to damp out vibrations etc (which made a big difference too). I think the standard speakers are more of a limiting factor than the head unit if anything.

Sound quality wise; it's great. I found the basic blaupunkt range were a big step on the standard, the middle range (funline?) were a step further, and this was another step up again. I've yet to hear a head unit that sounds better IMHO (although as always, you could get more by fitting a nice big expensive external amp). I would say that the quality from the changer is perhaps slightly less than from the main head unit, but it is a small difference, and still as good as anything else I've heard.

A few people on this board have heard the system in action, I haven't received any negative comments and a couple of people are nw considering similar. Obviously you can get better by spending more money, but I think it's as good as you'll get without more cash.

Yes, it is a motorised slip down panel, also removable for security. It looks black with a CD slot if you flip it down Can do you a picture if you like, but it won't show much.

Also plays CD-RW recorded with MP-3s etc very well, could be slightly overkill when you also have a changer.
Old 06 October 2002, 03:57 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hades, many thanks for the comments. Its good to hear another user's opinions before I splash out the cash . I had a feeling you might say that about the standard speakers...suppose I better add those to the want list too!!

Cheers

Mark
Old 03 December 2002, 03:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

How much do these cost?
Old 03 December 2002, 06:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Cheapest I found is via bluespot - go and have a browse round. Something like £230 for the head unit, and £170 for the changer, give or take a little.
Old 19 January 2004, 09:30 PM
AndyS44
Scooby Regular

hades,

do you have a phote of the install - the one at top of thread doesn't appear for me??
Old 19 January 2004, 10:19 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andy

YHM.

Funny to see this back at the top. I was looking at the LA MP72 back then and never got round to getting it. Last week I spotted the LA MP72 and IDC A-09 in the for sale forum and now have both of these waiting to install in my MY02 STi. Just need to decide which front speakers and amp to go for.

Mark
Old 20 January 2004, 12:51 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Blimey, this post takes me back a bit! I think the picture has finally timed out, as it was working not that long ago. Mail me per profile and I'll send you a copy, unless someone has a desire to host it?
Old 20 January 2004, 11:57 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Here ya go!!!!

Cheers

NA
Old 20 January 2004, 12:52 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

What a guy

There's the answer to the other question then
Old 20 January 2004, 11:02 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

i did this

[Edited by mwp - 1/20/2004 11:03:33 PM]

[Edited by mwp - 1/20/2004 11:04:11 PM]
Old 20 January 2004, 11:20 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

MWP,
Do you have a pic of the install in your car?
Would be interested to see.What are the advantages of the DAB53 over the MP72?? (Apart from DAB)

Cheers

Nick
Old 26 January 2004, 02:30 PM
Philo
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Yep very nice setup...but what about this....Just fitted a Blaupunkt Casablanca CD52 which plays cd's n rw and conected a Blaupunkt Compact Drive to said head unit this has a compact flash size cartridge with a 1Giga Bite capacity about 14 albums...sloted it into glove box job done...acts like a cd changer but no cd cases bouncing around