ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Adzest double head unit

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2000, 01:49 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Could someone please tell me how I remove the Adzest double head unit out before I do some damage ??

Cheers
Stu
Old 26 January 2000, 01:52 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Crowbars and mallets work a treat... LOL

Dan
Old 26 January 2000, 03:38 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

You can hire industrial angle grinders and other cutting equipment for an afternoon at reasonable rates.
Old 26 January 2000, 03:48 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers lads, I think this could be a job for the A Team... if I can find them
Old 26 January 2000, 03:51 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Stu, speak to Blow Dog, he has a good side line with blow torches and pliers.... LOL

Dan
Old 26 January 2000, 05:46 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Grief, you lot! Right, it falls upon me to supply the actual required information...

This goes for an STi4 - dunno what model you've got, but I hope this is still applicable whatever. First of all the bad news is you need to remove a lot of trim to get the stereo out without damaging everything.

The transmission tunnel trim overlaps the lower edge of the centre console, where the clips are located. So, remove the transmission tunnel trim by undoing the various screws located in the bottom of the elbow-rest storage compartment and other fairly obvious places. There is separate insert around the handbrake that is pretty easy to remove first, and this might make it easier to remove the main trim. The gearstick gaiter is fixed to a small frame that clips into the main trim, and unclips easily enough once you can reach underneath. I didn't bother removing the gear **** or anything, I just left the gaiter in place and passed the frame sideways out through the main trim, which I then took out of the car.

Now you should be able to get your hands to a couple of sprung clips behind the lower edge of centre console surround. These can be a bit obstinate, but squeeze them together and you should be able to pull the lower edge of the surround directly backwards. It can then be gently levered upwards. There are further moulded wedge clips around the sides and two retainers at the top, but these can be persuaded to come away fairly easily.

At this point, you can get to the screws that hold the stereo side plates into the centre console, and everything should be pretty obvious. It shouldn't take more than about 10-15 mins to get to this stage.

Note that you don't have to remove the cup holder, the vents or the centre storage cubby (which is a good job, because after 30 mins struggling with them I *still* couldn't work out how to do it!)

HTH

-= mike =-
Old 27 January 2000, 10:58 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cheers mike, appreciate the info.I have a 97 STI4 too so your help in perfect. I was going to pull the unit out this saturday but my mate has won tickets for the Tyson fight and asked me to go with him ahhh well, theres always Sunday. Scooby, boxing and good guys on the BBS... life just doesnt get much better.

Cheers
Stu

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2000, 11:17 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I just took the gear **** off, then un-clipped the surrounding trim by putting my fingers underneath (in the gear stick gaiter)then removed the centre facia.
Old 27 January 2000, 11:44 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Stu - ya welcome mate, enjoy the fight (lucky blighter).

Alistair - I was frightened that the gear **** would become loose through being removed and replaced, as it is only a push fit. Oh well, seems like I shouldn't have worried.

TTFN

-= mike =-
Old 27 January 2000, 02:12 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Mike,

It's a push fit onto the gaiter, but screws onto the stick. Anyway, I replaced mine with a nice momo one !

Alistair