ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Adv-ICE?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2000, 12:14 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam,

Is Sony gear really that bad? It sounds pretty OK in my car, but then maybe I don't appreciate what I'm missing.

The tuner is pretty awful though....

Rgds,

Alex (aka cloth ears!)
Old 21 January 2000, 07:43 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Question

Time as come to change the poor attempt at a stereo in my MY99. I am no ICE expert - decent stereo at home, and want to modestly improve in car for higher quality. Want single CD, as don't possess any MC/tapes. Budget of c£300. Questions:

1) do I just spend £300 on head unit? if so which one recommended?

2) do I spend £300 on cheaper head, and improve standard speakers? again if so, which?

Please either respond or mail on gpchaplin@aol.com

Thanks
Old 21 January 2000, 08:35 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I would instinctively say change the front speakers as your first priority, but my car came with an in-dash CD (now gone, to be replaced by in-dash minidisc)...

For the budget, how about spending around 100-150ish quid on a front stage and seeing where that takes you?

I had a single CD in my Scooby when it came from Holland. Sony unit, middle of the range, about 4x40 unreal watts output which was driving all original speakers. Didn't sound too offensive, but the speakers aren't great. They handled the power without much grumbling, but the sound wasn't that nice and the staging is non-existent.

Hie thee hither to a local dealer and see what they can do for your 300 nicker. Decent CD head unit for 200ish (such as the sony one I had is up for that in (eek) dixons) and some component speakers.

[This message has been edited by Nick Lines (edited 21-01-2000).]
Old 21 January 2000, 09:54 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I would have to disagree with Nick.

Spend as much as you can on the head unit.

There is an old saying that applies here, Crap in, crap out.

you will find that the performance of the standard speakers will improve enormously by adding a new headunit as modern units have much more powerful inbuilt amps which will make a drastic difference.

You can always upgrade the speakers later but at the moment, the weakest link is by far the source unit.

Any of the leading Jap makes will be great, but if you are near Bradford or Southend, let me know and I can swing you a great deal with some local dealers who owe me favours.

I would recommend pioneer for value and gimmick factor, Alpine for snob value and sony for the rubbish bin (unless it is the es range but I doubt most people have heard of that). I have no opinion on Kenwood as I have never owned it.

If you do want a great deal email me else go through mail order and you can save yourself a hefty percentage.
Old 21 January 2000, 11:20 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Adam and I seem to agree these days and yes, do the head unit.

realistically if you tried to buy a head unit AND speakers on that budget both would be dire.

I have snobby alpine - works a treat
Old 23 January 2000, 07:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Gary

I have left a message on your personal e-mail.