ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Set up for saloon

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2002, 10:15 AM
andyVI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I transferred my previous set up from my Golf Vr6 into my Evo 6. I have Infinity components front and rear and a Perfect 10 sub in the boot. Fronts and sub driven by Kappa amps. The system now sounds poor and I've been told that this set up is not ideal for a saloon. I've been told I need a bigger sub and more power to drive it or to replace the sub with a pair of 8in free-air subs in the rear shelf, retaining the front compos and an Eq to balance it all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02 September 2002, 01:59 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Depends how loud you want it and how much boot space. I would suggest a couple of 12s and they will sound real nice. If you want to save space though, go for the Kicker 8 inch subs in the back.

What sort of music do you listen to and how good do you want your system to be? How much you looking to spend?
Old 02 September 2002, 03:47 PM
andyVI
Scooby Regular

Although I like to hear the bass, I don't necessarily want to rock to car also weight is a consideration. Do you think that two 8" subs will give me as much bass as my single 10"? As it's my everyday car I'm quite keen on getting my boot space back. Thanks in advance.
Old 02 September 2002, 10:17 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

In what way does it sound poor? Two 8" will be simply louder and more intense than 1 8" and not as low as a 10 or 12". How about a 15" or a 32" sub for really low bass????!!!
Old 02 September 2002, 10:51 PM
andyVI
Scooby Regular

The bass sounds boomy with no definition. In my previous car everything sounded a lot tighter also it's more noticeable that the sound is coming from different directions.
Old 02 September 2002, 10:59 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Your other option (which is nice and cheap) is to remove the rear speakers. I found the biggest problem with saloons was getting the bass into the cabin, since the boot is reasonably sealed from the rest of the car. So, you lose all the gentle bass from the sub and what you end up with is you only get sound when the sub's really running hard.

By removing the rear speakers, you give the sub(s) two nice big holes to get sound into the cabin. Plus, if you drive the front components well, you shouldn't need rear speakers anyway. (I've got a £2k+ system in my car and I don't use rear speakers - haven't for years - you get much better sound definition that way anyway)

At the end of the day, it's a free mod, which you can try and see if it makes the difference for you. Try removing the rears entirely and running the front components down to, say, 80-100Hz and the sub up to 80-90Hz. If you can alter the phase on the sub, do it so it's 180' out of phase. If you can't alter the phase, just wire up the sub backwards (+'ve to -'ve on the amp and vice-versa) that has the same effect.

Can't promise it'll make the difference you're after, but it should definitely improve sound definition and should restore some of the tightness to the bass-response
Old 03 September 2002, 12:02 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If the bass is boomy, I'd also be tempted to try dynamat / roadkill or similar sound deadening material. Boot floor, metal bits of shelf, boot lid etc. Chances are that the metal in your boot is resonating in time with the sub woofer, which adds lots to any boom. Scoobs have less sound proofing than most cars, so benefit more from this kind of mod. All IMHO.

The difference made by lining my doors with dynamat extreme was far from subtle. One installer I know always says "you'll be much better spending £100 on speakers and £50 on dynamat than spending all £150 on speakers", and I have to agree.

Also make sure the sub etc is solidly mounted and not moving around.
Old 03 September 2002, 09:04 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah definitely use dynamat. On my old car, i dynamated the whole car. Cost a bit but made the car much better. Of course you dont have to go this far but you can always stick a couple of sheets in the boot and some in the doors up front.

Definitely get rid of the speakers in the back. They are not needed and are a waste. Replace them with 2 10s and that will give you a nice punchy bass! Also you can get the 10s installed so no boot space is taken up