Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

what to install?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2002, 01:09 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know absolutley nothing about ice installs so im after a bit of help in what would make a good set up. i've got a gti-6 with a kenwood z838w head unit, and am looking at doing the set up for clarity of sound not how loud it goes.
some people have all ready told me to get one of them acoustic parcel shelves with some 6x9s and an amp to power them with some infinity kappas up front. does this sound about right and if so what make should the amp and 6x9s be.
also want to put some tweeters in somewhere but not sure where or what ones.
but if anyone has any better ideas it would be good to hear them.

cheers mark
Old 01 September 2002, 09:27 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

First off, for clarity of sound, you really want to worry about the speakers at the front, not the back, as those are what you'll listen to most. Spend about 100 quid on front speakers and you'll get a good setup.

After that, maybe consider amps, etc... It really depends on your budget, how far you want to take it, and how much work you want to do yourself. Also what sort of music do you like?
Old 02 September 2002, 01:56 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt recommen 6x9s cause they are sh*t! If you dont want loud, better to go for a nice little 10 inch sub. Slowboy on here as a Kicker 8 inch sub in the back which is meant to sound well nice
Old 02 September 2002, 10:13 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go as far as to say rears are s£$t, used properly they can add a lot to setup. Quality is without a dought from the fronts, so I'd worry about those first and foremost - generaly I wouldn't consider paying anything near what the value of my fronts are for the rears.

Really depends on budget, how much have you got to spend?
Old 03 September 2002, 09:07 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah but if you got a sub in the back, there is no need for the 6x9s as they are a waste of space. Of course if you have nothing, then they are useful. Best advice is ditch the 6x9s and put a sub in the back. i used to have 6x9s, then added a couple of 12s and the 6x9s were useless. Got rid of them and it still sounds exactly the same but i loss the space. Best advice is to have bass for the rear and the mids and tweeter up front. It sounds very nice......
Old 03 September 2002, 07:07 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

im not really worried about cost as it all goes on account at work which gets paid off bit by bit.
with the sub thing it won't be boy racer will it as i can't stand hearing a thump thump all the time i like to hear all the music not the just the bass.
so if i stuck with 6x9s what would be a good make to get i've been told not to get speakers from a maker that also makes head units get them from a a maker who just does speakers, again does this make sense to anyone?
Old 03 September 2002, 07:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yes, it does make sense - the large head unit brands are not necessarily the best that you can do for the money. Saying that, I quite liked the Kenwood stuff that I ran a few years back, and they've come on since then too .

There's never a right or wrong answer - just opinions.

For fronts, I'd listen to different stuff in car and see if you can find something you like, then buy them. I spent 300 quid on my fronts, and being honest I think that you're getting into the realm of diminishing returns at that point. I run CD Technology stuff, but there's plenty of good stuff - Focal in particular is getting a good reputation at the moment and isn't too expensive. It is, however, quite difficult to fit as the drivers are quite deep physically.

For rears, I do run some good quality midbass drivers (again CD technologies), but only faded so far out that they can hardly be heard. Still, it adds a touch of ambience to the sound, so they're doing something.

Sub-wise, you want something musical rather than deafening by the sound of it. There's been quite a revolution in the past few years with Diamond and others making very musical subs that also can really kick out the power. Again, listen in car if at all possible, and even better your own car as every car has a different "transfer function" which dramatically alters bass response.

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2002, 09:05 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah i agree with chiark, if you are going to go for 6x9s, go for Kenwoods. i would say they are one of the best of 6x9s.

No you wont be a boy racer though! Most of the boy racers have a couple of crap subs in their boot, play out loud and it just sounds rubbish!

I agree with chiark on the front speakers. For the subs, listen to the Jls. I have got a pair and they sound very nice. If you dont want to much bass, go for 1 10inch, then you could always upgrade to 2 if you want to increase it.
Old 04 September 2002, 10:10 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

cheers peeps thanks for all the input will let you know what i've got when it's installed!