Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Woodstock questions

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2002, 02:12 PM
fubar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had my Blaupunkt Woodstock in for a few weeks, I have a few question ...

[1] Does anyone else get momentary dropouts listening to MP3s - just wondering if its my cr@ppy blank CDR or what?
(Using Adaptec to burn MP3 CDs from my original copies - using RealPlayer One to create 128k MP3, and recording in IS0 9660 v1)
Does it 'really' make a difference recording at a higher bitrate?

[2] I've already asked about why my unit not dimming - people with the unit in other cars say it dims, in my scooby MY99 it uses standard ISO connectors, which has a lights-on wire connected, but unit does not dim - even tried my legendary bright switch to see if it finally does something more useful.

[3] Traffic announcements - I get occassional beeps when listening DAB broadcasts when the traffic announcement light is on, but it doesn't cut over to the actual traffic broadcast.
Any ideas why?

[4] My standard speakers also seem to have problems handling any volume over 35 or so.. anyone else seen this? Sound gets v. garbled.

[5] Loudness vs EQ? Which should I use? I generally use on of the EQ sound presets that boosts bass and treble a bit (techno preset I think) - should I use loudness instead???

[6] Talking of volumes, DAB volume always seems to be quieter than regular FM volume in comparison - anyone else seen this?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 29 August 2002, 02:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Re: dimming, I've seen this before on my Clio - there seems to be two standards for the dimmer signal location on the ISO block. Have a scout around and compare the scoob's wiring to the blau manual.

Loudness is normally more intelligent than EQ. It should boost bass and treble (to a lesser extent) at low volumes, but drop off the boost when you turn the volume up.
Old 29 August 2002, 11:25 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

1) Is this just a second or so drop out between tracks? If so, it's common and most MP3 units do it, Blaupunkt or otherwise.

Re:bit rate - With my Los Angeles MP72 I can hear the difference up to 192kbs, particularly on "busy" music, but once past 128 it is fairly marginal. I still went with 192.

2) On a previous blaupunkt of mine (casablanca I think, looked like a woodstock, but without the features), I found the only difference the "lights on" switch made was that it lit up the little blue bit in the middle of the volume **** if the stereo was powered off. Does yours do this?

4) Sound garbled over volume setting 35 is probably a mix of standard speakers and standard tinny doors. Biggest difference will certainly be to change the speakers, but I highly recommend you also invest in a bit of dynamat or similar: will let you turn it up a bit more, and give you a much cleaner, clearer sound at all volume levels.

edited due to typos - d'oh

[Edited by hades - 8/29/2002 11:29:16 PM]
Old 30 August 2002, 05:56 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

I have no problems with MP3 play back. If there are drop outs during the songs this is probably down to cd burning. Make sure no other programs are running and you are not using the machine or even moving the mouse.

My unit doesn't dim on my MY01 using the standard ISO adaptor but having looked at the blaupunkt connector diagram I think for some reaon the pin for dim is different. Haven't got round to sorting it out but I might because I keep finding I'm driving with the lights on!

Never yet heard a DAB traffic announcement.

I use the loudness (on +2)and the EQ, set to rock, which sounds good with the standard speakers (which are rubbish).

Stopped listening to FM now.

But do you get drop outs on DAB listening to BBC programs? My main problem.

Piers LoFi