Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Need your help

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2002, 09:29 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I need your expert advice. I currently have a Kenwood single CD head unit, Kenwood 2ch Amp and I think some cheap (£100ish) infinity's in place of the standard speakers. All this is a std MY99 UK scoob.

I'm finding the sound quite harsh, lacking in bottom end. I want to get this sorted but without spending too much. I figure I need some replacement front speakers and a sub. Agreed ? I'd like a very discrete sub installation which doesn't eat up too much boot space.
Please can you recommend the best way forward for me.

cheers

Nick
Old 07 August 2002, 11:35 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I take it you have done the obvious of turning down the treble etc?

£100 infinity's ought to be OK, and shouldn't be badly lacking in bottom end if fitted properly. Check that the screws are tight, nothing is vibrating etc.

A good cheap upgrade would be to kit the doors out with dynamat. Can do the front doors for about £40. This will make the infinity's sound more mellow and controlled, giving better bass and definition etc. At worst case if you still don't like the system, the dynamat will pay dividends with any new speakers. I'd try that before you change the front speakers.

After that, adding a sub will make the bass lower and stronger.
Old 08 August 2002, 06:31 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

I might be doing the speakers a bit of a dis-service. There not bad and, yes, by turning down the treble there ok but still sound a bit harsh. The bottom is probably about what i'd expect from smallish front speakers but I need more depth. Suggestions for discrete sub installation ?
Old 08 August 2002, 09:22 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a Pioneer 8" bass tube for a lot of years, plenty of bass and very robust, especially helpfull if you use ya boot a lot. I think the latest ones have built in amp, so removal is easy should you require the space. Not sure about the price, but i think £200 would be a good guess.
Old 08 August 2002, 02:08 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

You could fit a stealth box which goes on either side of the boot so it just takes up the space behind the light cluster.
Boxes are about £150 you can get them from Demon Tweeks and I exspect loads of other places. You will need to buy a sub to put in in as well, or you could buy an active sub which comes with an amp attached.
Also check http://www.autoacoustics.com/
Cheers
Daz.
Old 08 August 2002, 07:47 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Has anyone installed drivers into parcel shelf ? Have been told 2 JL 6 1/2 drivers work well in some cars depending on boot volume. Nice because saves boot space.