ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Alpine amp problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2002, 12:41 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have I think a MRV T404or7 amp, which is being fed from a Pioneer DEHP9000R with 6 disc changer via the line outs, which then goto some 605CS Infinity kappas. I'm using the headunit in trimode to drive a small sub as well.

About a week ago I lost all output to the right channel and thought that it was just a lose wire. So I removed the headunit and about half a mile of cable behind it as well, to check all the connections and found nothing wrong. I then checked the amp end, the power feed, earth and even disconected all the line ins and speaker outs and swapped them round etc and this time the left channel did not work so no problem with the headunit or the cables coming from it. Then I thought I know! has the amp been somehow switched to tri mode or to mono output? no, all the switches where correct for stereo 2 channel use. So I thought that I would take a look inside to see if there is any internal fuses on this amp. I removed the case screws from the bottom and took the cover off and no I could not see anything that looked like a fuse and all looked good on the components inside with no melted or burnt circuit board anywhere.

I then gave the amp a bit of a shake out of frustration and lo and behold it started to work I shook it some more to see if it would stop working but it still carried on, so I and put everything back. Then today I switch on and there is no right channel again

Anyone got an idea as to what it could be and would it be worth getting the amp repaired?

Cheers ian
Old 09 August 2002, 04:36 PM
blitz imp reza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Get a multimeter with a continuity tester (makes a noise when probes are touched together).
Check from the speaker cable connectors on the outside to the relevant conector on the inside (with lid off) if one does not make a circuit wiggle it, it should then make a circuit highlighting the problem area.check the RCA connections as well.
You said shaking it cures it so something must be loose and should not be to hard to find.(unless it is a dry joint on the soldering whch can be a barsteward to find) failing that get someone to check it out try yellow pages for audio repair or similar should not be to exspensive and would be worth it if you have a good amp.