ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sub Boxes - Stealth Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2002, 01:17 PM
BEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a pair of 12" subs mounted in a twin box. However, the box is quite big, it doesn't fit tidily and it takes up quite a lot of boot space.

I've been thinking about taking the subs out and trying to make 2 separate smaller custom boxes with some MDF which could fit at the corners of the boot behind where rear lights are. (Like a kind of stealth installation).

I'm no expert in this sort of thing so if anyone has a similar, or even an alternative instal can they please post some pics to give me some ideas. Ideally if anyone has a box template or dimensions/ sizes, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Ian
Old 02 August 2002, 01:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Not exactly what you asked for, but a thought.

If you wanted to gain space, you could use the 2 12s in an isobaric configuration. This is where you effectively bolt the two speakers together, face to face (with MDF inbetween!) and wire them out of phase.

Advantage: less space requied as the box volume compared to what you need for 2 subs is now quartered!
Disadvantage: you lose 3dB of output. MUST be fed identical signal, ideally off the same channel of amplification

Just a thought...
Old 02 August 2002, 04:02 PM
BEL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick response Chiark. I'm not sure what you mean here though. Do you mean just bolt two subs together face on and then buid a ported box round them ? ..a pic would be useful if you have any.

Cheers
Ian
Old 02 August 2002, 04:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have a quick look on the net for isobaric and you'll get loads. Build a sub box as normal, then just bolt another sub on the front of the one you fix in the box. You see the back of that sub then
Old 02 August 2002, 05:42 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Basically gives you the same performance as a single sub but in half the space (hence quarter the space of two subs in an equivalent non-isobaric config). Reason is that you get twice the suspension of a single sub but you only get the volume of a single sub and it requires twice the power (same power as a single sub but to both subs).

Hope that makes a bit of sense!
Old 03 August 2002, 10:26 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, takes me back to a pair of JBL 15s mounted isobaric driven off a Kenwood 1021.

F***ing loud!
Old 03 August 2002, 01:00 PM
BEL
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK, I think I am correct in saying (if I've got this right, doh) you don't need as big a box as you would do with only a single sub because the power generated by the bolted on sub, (operating on the reverse polarity from the other) helps to drive the fitted sub into creating a better sound. In space saving terms it sounds very useful, might be the way to go for me..One box is a bit easier to build than two after all

After having another look in the boot, I think the passenger side rear corner looks the best location to put a sub box. so I think I'll have a go to see if I can make one up to fit in there.

..again, any pics /templates to give me ideas for the box shape or mounting of the box would be very useful.

Cheers
Ian