ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speakers in a 5 door

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 1999, 07:27 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am planning on replacing the speakers in my MY2000 5 door. I am going for component speakers in the front doors powered by seperate amp, and coaxial in the rear doors powered by the head unit.

Can anyone tell me what size to go for in both cases.

Thanks.
Old 03 December 1999, 10:04 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I'll give you a tip..don't bother with rear speakers !

Since you are amp-ing the fronts..spend all your money on the best set you can afford.

unless you want to build some door builds, you'll have to be content with a 6.5" speaker up front.
Old 03 December 1999, 11:50 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lee

What if I was doing the reverse to Gaz there?

I find that I get little "surround" sound from the rear speakers & its the fronts that dominate. I realise the position of the rears is the cause, so to resolve this.... ??
Old 04 December 1999, 07:53 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Sorry, got me confused..what do you mean by "doing the reverse to Gaz there?"

Are you replacing your amps and components with the original ones ?

seriously I have 2 masseev 6x9's that are never used. Why ? Cos since I've enabled the highpass on the front components I've filtered out that really low down stuff that makes the speakers distort, hence I now get a much clearer image, even at max volume.

I guess the difference could be that I have a sub which adds to the "warmth" and gives you a full, "enclosing/surrounding" sound.

Also, I chose my components (
Old 05 December 1999, 10:20 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Lee, what do you need my help for, you are doing so well on your own.

The thing that always convinces me is to look at a proper hifi (not a lame one with four speakers and "surround sound").

True hifi has two channels, left and right. The music has been produced with this in mind putting more speakers in just confuses the issue.

The only reason to have more is as Lee said when you just want volume and feel that just two speakers cannot produce it. Mine have never had troubled deafening me.

The other reason is if your source has more than two channels or creates more than two channels.

Eg. Dolby digital has five full range audio channels (all different) and restricted range sub (hence Dolby Digital 5.1).Another example is a prologic system which has only two distinct channels but uses electronic wizardry that I wont go into to create the centre and rear channels from the info on the other two. This is how you can get "surround sound" from a stereo track on a vhs cassette.

If you want imaging and volume from four speakers it is only possible by having bandpass speakers in the back. This means having only midrange and wiring the speakers to run in mono. You can do this by running them off one channel of the amplifier (rear left or right)in series (just in case your amp cannot handle low ohmages).

Personally I think it is all effort that can be avoided by putting all the money into the front speakers. I cant imagine that you will be unhappy. Rear passenegers don't normally complain as they have no reference to compare it with, and if it is set up properly, they shouldn't be able to tell anyway. Just remember who's car is it?

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 05-12-1999).]
Old 05 December 1999, 10:59 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lee / Adam

Sorry it has taken a while to get back - my wife has had an anti BBS day

What I was after was more sound from the rear speakers. I am not (as you probably gathered) up on things ICE but it seems to me that I am not getting the benefit of the music quality from the rear speakers & therefore was asking what set-up I should look to to get a balanced sound (or what I consider balanced). B4 wife & familly I was used to a bigger/deeper/louder bass coming from the rear (head unit on fronts & amp on rears) and that was in a 2/3/4 dr. Now that I am running a 5dr, I wish to get this equivalent which (to my ears) sounds better.

Previously run Pioneer head unit fo fronts, 60w Amp and 80w bass reflecting speakers for rear(? - those that aimed the bass speaker through parcel shelf into the boot).

Without going mad, I wish to have better sound quality from my Sony CDX from amplified rear speakers. I prefer to have my music behind me and propel me along the road (no rude jokes please!).

N.B. "Surround Sound" had been put in parenthesis and as I hope you now realise was not what I meant.
Old 06 December 1999, 03:13 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

I have plumped for the following, which should fit exactly into the existing holes and spacers without any mods...

Kenwood 13cm components, with seperate tweeters for the front doors.
Kenwood 10cm coax's for the rear doors.

I know it's not **** kicking stuff, but it should do me fine.

Gazzer.