double post removed

[Edited by Si.t - 7/3/2002 9:27:03 PM]
Old 03 July 2002, 07:26 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Ok Ice people here the spec.

I want a Multi media system that plays DVD's or Video that has 2 flip down screens mounted in the roof of my car a dash top setup is not required, its for the kids on long trips.

what systems do people recomend ?
what sort of price means cheap, good & very good
Can it be independant of the the current sterio setup ?

as usualy any advice is warmly received.

Cheers
Old 03 July 2002, 09:18 PM
chris12102
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

as with home av systems price will depend on what you want.
if all you want is a dvd,vcr and couple of screens with sound then it wont cost the earth and can be linked in to your existing system (most systems anyway)
however, if you want all singing and dancing system with dolby digital and DTS sound then you will need more speakers (including a centre speaker somewhere in the middle of the dashboard - which can cost lots to fit alone)and decoding systems which all means lots more wires which means more expensive installation.
best thing to do is to work out exactly what you want and how much you want to spend the speak to a dealer who knows what they are on about. if you and in the london area and are want a serious top of the range install could do worse than speak to BBG in harrow
Old 03 July 2002, 09:24 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've noticed centurion do dvd players fairly cheaply, the only concern i would have is about road vibration and skipping whilst on the move. The dvd and two head rest screens go for less than 600 quid, and there are also flip down screens avialable, too. This is really the bottom end, though, so it would be advisble to check out alpine, pioneer and kenwood offerings.

dvd changers start from about 6-700 quid from the top brands - what I would suggest is buying a copy of max power and fast car as they have loads of ice adverts covering the majority of the multimedia stuff. A lot of what you can buy now can easily be linked up to headphones rather than rear speakers, should you chose to do so.

You could of course run a seperate four channel amp, and use this soley for "front" speakers in the doors, and "rears" on the parcel shelf, giving a surround sound. Alpine, I'm sure, do a dedicated av box or something similar to change soud source if you want to control it from the front.

Thats your three options: headphones, dedicated amp and speakers at the rear or one monster controlled system (so you can revert back to normal speaker set up when needed).

Hope this helps.