ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sony Active Black Pannel

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 07:20 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anybody have any experience of these headunits (namley the CDXM730)I have looked at a couple in halfors and think they look beautiful but I am not in the habbit of choosing stereo equip on the strength of how good it looks, But as the systems attached to the wall in halfords bear no resembelance to what they sound like in the car and there seams to be nothing much between the spec of all the different machines all opinions are welcomed (including what they are like to fit.)

also anybody know if I can control an alpine CD change with another head unit in particular the sony

thanks Ali G
Old 21 June 2002, 07:42 PM
Luke
BANNED

If you want sound quality .Then buy Alpine. All the rest sound the same and look stupid.
Old 21 June 2002, 09:24 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Luke,
"Buy alpine. All the rest sound the same and look stupid"
Well wide of the mark. Utterly wide of the mark. In fact, the sheer wrongness of that comment absolutely stuns me!

Alpine make some good units, granted, but they've made some pigs in their time too.

If you've got an alpine CD changer, stick with that brand. The sony black panel stuff is ok in my book, but I'm not overly keen on it from very limited experience.

Personally, I prefer Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine to the sony stuff now - I used to like the sony stuff, but have gone off it for various reasons...

Decide your price point, have a listen and have a play too.

Nick.
Old 22 June 2002, 11:19 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Personaly I like the Sony Active Black panel units. I tried one of last years models out for about a month and was well impressed. I'm currently using a Sony 5000 which is equaly as good but without the mad display. I find the sound quality is very good, nice punchy sound and not too bright (IMO better than Pioneer). It's also easy to use.

I have a very tasty Alpine unit to try out now, It'll be in my car within the hour so I'll post our findings later.
Old 22 June 2002, 11:59 AM
Luke
BANNED

Nick

What I ment was that sure maybe Alpine have had the odd bad unit design. But Look at Pioneer, Sony maybe Kenwwod. They tend to make to apeal to the Max power brigade, who must account for a lot of sales. The Sony is in that price bracket. For not much more you could get a Nakamichi!!!

But all this fancy display stuff is crazy..... I still believe that Alpine over the last 8 years have made the best range of head units.
Old 22 June 2002, 06:26 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Had an Black Panel for 2 years now and all is still purfick with it!

Sounds so crisp and sweet!.
You can buy an adapter for the Alpine changer.

If you need help speek to Huets in Brighton. They are the best in the business.
http://www.huets.co.uk/

[Edited by monkeyboy - 6/22/2002 6:27:07 PM]
Old 23 June 2002, 11:48 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the opinions guys and apreciate knowing that they seam to last ok and I can control the Alpine changer if I want. But I suppose I knew what the outcome would be, "Go and listen to them and make up your own mind all these things are subjective" !! (I spent several months shopping for a home HiFi so should know this by now)

Thanks Alistair

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2002, 04:32 PM
tntsystems
Scooby Regular

Have always sworn by pioneer head units (9000 series) and rockford amps/subs caliber components.... (if you want my advice as someone who has won 6 awards for quality setups under £2500)
Old 25 June 2002, 06:32 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm toying with the idea of the sony, when i can save my credit card from all these group buys So if i may ask chiark wot were the reasons, however slight, that have made u shy away from Sony? I'm sure if it's even the merest of sound quality issues a numpty like me wont notice but still intreged as i no u is da man
Ta
Si
Old 25 June 2002, 07:51 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well the Alpine unit I've been trying out is the Alpine INA-N033R single din DVD NAVI/CD TUNER.

All in all, a rather impresive unit. Good Navi, easy to use, easy to fit but sound quality not so good IMO.

Old 25 June 2002, 09:12 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

In a word: tuner. That's the major problem I've had with sony stuff, I don't like the tuners on their 99, 00 and 01 range. Just didn't like the sound. Admittedly this was the lower / lower middle range of their range, but thought "could do better".