ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE Questions

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2002, 12:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, confession time, in the past I have said "why?" about ICE, as in my head unit and cd changer are all I need, so why change the speakers, add a bass box and amps ect... However, I like my music (so part of the WHY? now equates, the chaps like thier music) and it's become apparent that the standard speakers in the blackbeast (MY94 WRX Wagon) are not exactly that good, bass distortion from some tracks at not that loud levels, and I'm not always talking bangin house toons here

So, I'm looking at changing things. I know, well bog all really, so need advice.

What am I after? well, nothing too expensive, but something a damn sight better than the standard gear. As to what music i'm into, well everything really, sometimes some nice cheesy 80's music, some banging new choons, and some nice jazz. so bit of everything really. Some bass would be great.

So, what speakers can be fitted with no body mods (6x9 up front?? and 6 at rear? remember it's a wagon).

Head unit is a Clarion ARX8570Rz head unit and CDC655z 6 disk CD changer, so it's not exactly a base model and has lots of leads for, I assume, connecting to amps and other things.

Would I need an amp? If I wanted a bass box, which I'm considering then can I get a stealth box to fit snugly into one of the recesses in my boot?

As you can tell, I know nothing about this kind of thing.

so, any advice/suggestions welcomed.

Oh, and is this stuff easy to fit? I'm not that good (did fit my head unit though!) personallyt thinking about getting it professionally done as I don't want to mess it up, so where in Kent area is good for this? Road Radio? Street Stereo???

oh, and what about buying stuff online? where's the good places with good prices?

Think that's enough waffling on for now
Old 17 June 2002, 12:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have a quick look at the FAQ as that should get you started.

you don't need amps, more speakers, ... but you'll find yourself getting on a slippery slope that'll end up who know's where?

Up front you can fit 6.5" with little troubles. Rears are the same in <MY01.

For a bass box, there's a few "stealth" boxes around. Realistically, if you want decent bass then you need to add an amp. This doesn't have to be a 5000W monster, just something from a decent brand which can be bridged will do the job.

Fitting yourself, for me, is most of the fun. But I daresay people will be able to recommend a good installer in your area.

Online there's a few usual suspects, like caraudiodirect.com, edworthys.co.uk, and others.

Good luck
Old 17 June 2002, 12:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate! will read the FAQ.
Old 18 June 2002, 07:49 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Stone me!

I never thought I'd see Street stereo mentioned on here Markus. I used to work for them.

I'm in Tonbridge and i asume you are too or nearby.

Let me know if you want to get together and have a chat about your thoughts, I'd be happy to help.

I've done a few installs for guys on Scoobynet.

[Edited by audio g man - 6/18/2002 11:31:50 PM]
Old 19 June 2002, 08:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm rather close by, in your town's royal and missplet cousin

Gotta save a little cash first, but will get in touch when I want to get the stuff done. thanks!
Old 19 June 2002, 08:40 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm rather close by, in your town's royal and missplet cousin

Gotta save a little cash first, but will get in touch when I want to get the stuff done. thanks!
Old 20 June 2002, 12:11 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

right'o