STI7 - Keep speakers, change head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2002, 12:50 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Recently went in to one of my local ICE places (Car Electronics, Nottm) and they recommended to me that I keep the speakers as they are in my STI. They said the best benefit would be to put in an amp as the head unit is only 10W?

I went in to buy some Infinities and they try and sell me an amp? So whats the best plan, junk the head unit for something with more power? Keep everything as is and add an Amp? Install new speakers to see and then add a headunit at a later date?

Rich B
Now confused?!
Old 06 June 2002, 01:35 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Change both, as they are both rubbish.

But change the speakers first if you can't do both together.

Be warned tho, mounting depth in the front door panel is limited.
Old 06 June 2002, 01:55 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you're absolutely budget bound, change the head unit first. The speakers are rubbish, but, believe it or not, the head unit is worse.

This will get you a massive improvement.

next up, do change the speakers for a component set. This will get you a massive improvement again. The great news is that you can get good imaging using the standard tweeter locations in the STI.

What's your budget?
Old 06 June 2002, 01:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Oh, and Car Electronics Nottingham know their stuff IMHO. Used them a while back (around 4 years, do things might have changed), and they knew their stuff.
Old 06 June 2002, 02:16 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Agree with chiark, both need replacing headunit first but be sure to get one with a couple of pre outs as you are sure to want to put an amp into there once the fronts are upgraded, you can NEVER have too much ICE.

Nick just been looking at your site some helpfull stuff on there!
Cheers
Daz
Old 06 June 2002, 02:46 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info chaps.

Not really that budget bound other than I should be saving it for a new house. As long as the missus doesn't realise how much they cost I'm ok! <£350-£400 total is about Ok

Was thinking of some 505cs for the front speakers as thats what the Infinity site says drop straight in, and some sort of MP3 head unit, although maybe not as I have an Apple iPod and just really need to link that in with an aux in type of thang.

Cheers

Rich B
Old 06 June 2002, 03:37 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rich, if you have an ipod then I'd be sorely tempted to use that. One thing to consider though: can you put it in a place so that it's usable whilst driving? You don't want it to be another distraction whilst you're going along. I suppose you could go for a single din unit and pocket, and put the ipod in the pocket on velcro or something

I'd suggest spending 300 quid on a head unit then, and 100 quid on speakers. You'll have a nice sounding setup for that money. To be honest, there's not a huuuge difference in quality between brands at this level. I'd be tempted by the new Blaupunkt woodstock, which has DAB (for what it's worth), plus MP3 playback, plus... lots.

Pioneer also do nice units. Myself? I've got Kenwood, and I still like their "PS" range (Performance Series).

Good luck!

Nick.