Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Alpine head unit Query

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 01:17 AM
Stully
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying the Alpine CDA-7998R head unit.

But cannot find out what the head unit's power output is one magasine states 4x60W, but the alpine do not list a power output in the brochure.

Can any one help!!

Also what do you think of this unit and can it drive Infinity Kappa's as I'm considering these for the front of my impreza my97.

Rather stick with 2 or 3-way speakers than fit tweeters in ya face, etc, seems so much simpler.

cheers,

Old 29 May 2002, 01:10 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

don't worry about the 'quoted' power output - its no use!

Its unlikely to be quoted at a meaningful THD level, RMS across 20hz-20khz.

Take a look at the size of pretty much ANY amp that does 4 x 60w RMS - now figure out how that can be fitted inside a head unit without the help of someone who can rewrite the laws of physics.

If you're spending money on decent speakers and a decent head unit, then its worth buying a decent amp too.....
Old 29 May 2002, 01:29 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Kryten, have you never heard of the TARDIS? That's how they fit a four channel 60 w amp into there...
Old 29 May 2002, 01:35 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Talking

Newbie but I'm getting there.

I agree with Kryten, ratings on headunits are quite missleading when you look at the amps which are rated the same as your head unit. Figures probalby quoted just before the thing caught fire and blew up in the factory.
I would opt for an amp aswell as its an essential part of and ICE install, the head unit will happily run pretty much any speaker upgrade and being Alpine I dont think they rate anything under 4x40w.

Daz
Old 03 June 2002, 04:51 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find it's power output is zilch. Yes, zero!

As with all Alpine's top end units (79xx series, 7939, 7944, 7969, 7990 and now 7998) they are pre-out only. There is no internal amplification because these units are designed for optimal sound quality so internal amps with their large current draw will only reduce that SQ and the target market will always use external amps on all channels anyway.

Cracking head unit, it's also got optical out to connect digitally to a processor such as the PXA-H600 or new PXA-H700. All the processing is done in the digital domain to retain maximum signal integrity with the conversion to analogue done at the last stage before being sent down a usually short interconnect to the amps.

If you're after a high-spec MP3 unit that does most of what the 7998 does without being quite high-end (i.e. internal 45x4 amp but no optical) have a look for last year's 7878R. Great unit, it's still got the bass engine pro features etc although it might be hard to find since it's since been superceded.
Old 06 June 2002, 02:44 AM
Stully
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replys,

Foud out today that they don't come on sale until July, well thats what the man from Alpine quoted!!!!

If I'm still going to get one nned a good 4 channel AMP to drive,

Anyone got any sugestions.

Does any one know if you can fit a 4 chan amp in the dashboard or is it relegated to the boot.

Problem being Boot is in constant use and AMP may get damaged. Need something small that produces a good clean sound.

regards,
Old 06 June 2002, 10:48 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the boot - remember it's got to dissipate heat so if you put it in a small enclosed space there might be a problem.

Personally I like the Alpine V12s, not sure if something like the MRV-F307 would fit the bill (or the 2002 model is the MRV-F340). They're quite small considering and produce clean power if not earth rumbling, still much better than any HU will produce.
Old 06 June 2002, 10:52 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

BTW I don't yet have a Scooby so there might be other places you can put the amp that it will still get ventilation. Sometimes you can fit under the passenger seat if it can be protected from getting kicked.

If fitting in the boot you can place a bit of perspex in front of the amp for protection as long as you leave a gap to allow ventilation (leave the space at the top open as well).