ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

headunit options?!

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2015, 11:53 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default headunit options?!

At the moment I have a single Din Pioneer DEH-7200SD head unit. Does everything I need really (FM, CD, MP3 on SD card).
I have the Autoleads din cubby hole thing beneath it. it has 3 slots for cd's but I never carry any so it is fairly pointless. (usually has my wallet in it)
I don't like how it is just a gaping hole. looks horrible.

I have seen a few people have fitted tablets, putting a separate amp in glove box etc. Wouldn't be ideal so not so keen on that idea either.

What I want is a 2nd option. can you get a nicer looking hole filler? or maybe a flip up cover?

Or should I just go to a double Din unit?
On the double din topic I have seen some android based head units but they tend to be no-name brands and of rather low spec. anyone have experience of these?

Basically... what are my alternatives?

cheers
Old 05 January 2015, 09:37 AM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.scoobyparts.com/miscellaneous/genuine-subaru-din-pocket

You can also get a black subaru blanking plate but think that's a jap import job
Old 05 January 2015, 09:54 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yardz
http://www.scoobyparts.com/miscellaneous/genuine-subaru-din-pocket

You can also get a black subaru blanking plate but think that's a jap import job

Ooh cheers, I like the look of that. only reservation is that the internal hole looks a little reduced in size?

I had also considered gauges.. but maybe a bit tacky in a wagon and in this day and age? It does have a bigger turbo and is running about 316bhp so I guess keeping a closer eye on temps and pressures could be useful?
Old 05 January 2015, 10:15 AM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

I got a wagon with lamco gauges but sitting in the din hole is just way out of sight so I got a genuine subaru dash pod for them. Perfect for line of sight an

With an android headunit you can run torque pro with an obd2 adaptor and run gauges through that. Pioneer do head unit with mirror link for android if you've got an android smart phone which will do the same thing or they do one now with apples CarPlay but won't allow to use anything but native apps.
Old 05 January 2015, 02:22 PM
G27
Scooby Regular

I looked at the Android units on ebay, then read into mirrorlink and went that route instead.

When it was phone upgrade time, I made sure I got a mirrorlink compatible phone and got a Sony XAV712BT double DIN.

Phone connects as soon as I put the ignition on, resumes playing my MP3 from a 32GB USB stick, nice interface, very good fit in the dash, 7" screen, Google Maps sat nav via mirrorlink, superb hands free calls.
No complaints from me.

Old 05 January 2015, 02:25 PM
G27
Scooby Regular

Via bluetooth OBD tool, Torque app with a screen showing boost pressure, AFR, and intake temp
Old 05 January 2015, 08:39 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I currently have a Motorola Moto G, Looks like Pioneer support that phone with their 'AppRadio' app.
could be an option. cheers.
Old 07 January 2015, 11:29 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
Ooh cheers, I like the look of that. only reservation is that the internal hole looks a little reduced in size?

I had also considered gauges.. but maybe a bit tacky in a wagon and in this day and age? It does have a bigger turbo and is running about 316bhp so I guess keeping a closer eye on temps and pressures could be useful?
I have a similar dilemma now that I have gone single DIN. I think that I will fit gauges at some point, as knowing the Oil Temp/Pressure on a turbo car is quite useful...

Not a major priority though, especially given the price of decent gauges/sender. The twin DIN hole is a bit of a godsend when it comes to wiring the stereo, I've managed to drop a pair of cross-overs into the gap beneath the stereo. May look at the Forester(?) single DIN pocket although I agree that it looks a bit small. Not sure what I would put in it. At least it tidies up the dash. I've cut out the back of the ash tray and threaded a USB lead through that, to hold my memory stick for the stereo.
Old 07 January 2015, 11:42 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went for single din pioneer deh 80prs (way better radio than any double din)as a hole is so low for double din (You cant swap it with vents like in Hatch)
double dins are lcd screens yet and looks horrible, i have dash mount for my note 3 which i can easy connect to unit, screen is on correct level than for gps,Youtube etc.
is any single din with opposite way to open-down?

Last edited by fawor; 07 January 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07 January 2015, 11:43 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
i went for single din pioneer psr80 as a hole is so low for double din (You cant swap it with vents like in Hatch)
double dins are lcd screens yet and looks horrible, i have dash mount for my note 3 which i can easy connect to unit, screen is on correct level than for gps,Youtube etc.
you mean you got a cheap nasty one from ebay to match your spoiler
Old 07 January 2015, 11:59 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
i went for single din pioneer deh 80prs (way better radio than any double din)as a hole is so low for double din (You cant swap it with vents like in Hatch)
is any single din with opposite way to open-down?
Not sure if I understand much of that