Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

Carbon Fiber Roofs (93-00) Classics Only

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2011, 09:56 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Roofs (93-00) Classics Only

I tried a while back to find a company to produce affordable carbon fiber roofs and was trying to arrange a group buy but didn't get that mush interest and the company took on other work so i left it at that.

But recently i was looking around and have now found another company that have made and sold said roofs with plenty of good feedback.
One whom can confirm the quality is Andy from Richard Henry Autos based Bradford.

I have asked this company about group buys and they are happy enough to do so. I asked for them to tell us a bit more about them and the product and this is what they replied...

'We are a new company established march 1st this year, ACR Composites. We have been manufacturing fibreglass items for around 6 years now. and have around two years experience with carbon fibre parts. We do all of our own pattern making and mould tooling inhouse. We are a small family run business.

I dont currently have pictures of one fitted or being fitted, but if anyone wants any info from a third party on these roof's, Andy from Richard Henry Autos is about to fit one to his sprit car.

Needless to say we have looked at alot of carbon fibre made by other companies and feel that our carbon work is of very high quality. We also have experience of carbon fibre repairs and have done numerous diffuser/ splitter repairs and probably around 20 carbon bike frame repairs.

We only use the highest quality carbon, this is something we have spent alot of time in trying carbon off a number of companies and now only order the best quality.

If you wanted to look up the resin infusion process, which is what we use, you can see the benefits of this over wet lay and compare it against pre preg.

We are not a company that mass produces, everything we make is manufactured to the highest quality, needless to say i could probably manufacture 3 per week.

We are currently manufacturing a carbon roof for our evo 9, i could put together a fitting guide from that and pictures of the finished product if this is any help to your buyers.

On say a group buy i would require deposits from each individual.

We are also currently looking into matte lacquer and should hopefully be able to offer this finish in addittion to the gloss finish.'

Pics attached are of actual product made by 'ACR Composites' except the 1st one of a carbon roof fitted to a classic with vortex strip. That one is just to give you an idea of what they look like fitted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	impreza carbon roof 1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	6660   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!jcE5,ybPH22BOcdpkYgqw~~60_12.JPG
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	6661   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!iYE5oN-qC8FBOcdphUcu!~~60_12.JPG
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	6662   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!k0E5(48m)EVBOcdpjf2Fw~~60_12.JPG
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6663  
Old 28 September 2011, 10:05 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Group Buy Discount...

These will retail for £550 each

5 Buyers = £500

10 Buyers = £450

Please note these are real replacement roofs and not just overlays!!

To fit this... front and rear screens out and headlining down, then drill the spot welds out and take off the steel roof skin and bond on the carbon roof and a few rivets down the gutter, under the trims. re bond screens back in and refit headlining.

Manufactured using the highest quality 2x2 Twill woven Carbon Fibre and Epoxy Resin.

The roof is also finished with a 2 Pac clear laquer to ensure that it is UV stable and will not discolour over time.

Approximate weight is 2.5KG

Not only a fantastic looking addition to your car but will save weight and lower the centre of gravity.
Old 28 September 2011, 10:33 PM
kirstybumx3
Scooby Regular

Put me down for one please for my classic type r

Cheers
Old 29 September 2011, 06:11 AM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

1. kirstybumx3
Old 29 September 2011, 07:33 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

very tempting
Old 29 September 2011, 08:44 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW now thats a bit special!

2.5kgs... how much weight saving is it over stock roof? Have you got a weight of the metal you'd be loosing?
Old 30 September 2011, 01:52 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

1. kirstybumx3
2. WUZ
Old 30 September 2011, 07:48 AM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex_00s
WOW now thats a bit special!

2.5kgs... how much weight saving is it over stock roof? Have you got a weight of the metal you'd be loosing?
I don't know myself im sure someone will post the weight soon. If not the hopefully Andy from 'Richard Henry Autos' will tell me the weight once he has his removed.
Old 30 September 2011, 08:05 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Martin dont do this to me u no I like a bit of carbon. Just spent prob around 2 k this week lol
Old 30 September 2011, 08:24 AM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
Martin dont do this to me u no I like a bit of carbon. Just spent prob around 2 k this week lol
Martin? Who is he? Lol. Go on Rob has to be done. 2k? Ouch
Old 30 September 2011, 08:53 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Martin lol I was talking to my mum about a martin then typed it lol. I can't multi task lol Alan will u fit mine lol
Old 30 September 2011, 09:03 AM
scoobie no nothing!
Scooby Newbie

I think i would prefer to go on a diet for a week and gain the benefit and not have to do all the hard work and spend money, and i would be saving money not eating too bonus lmao
Old 30 September 2011, 10:03 AM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
Martin lol I was talking to my mum about a martin then typed it lol. I can't multi task lol Alan will u fit mine lol
Cut the crap Rob lol. But yeah im sure i have some super glue and duct spare haha!

Originally Posted by scoobie no nothing!
I think i would prefer to go on a diet for a week and gain the benefit and not have to do all the hard work and spend money, and i would be saving money not eating too bonus lmao
To be honest if i was doing this mod it would be purely for the sex! Imagine how turned on the gals would be when i explain the roof is made of carbon fibre!!! Pwoooaaarrrr just thinking about it gives me goosebumps :P LOL
Old 01 October 2011, 08:10 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

if we can get to the 10 price i think i may well be having one.... not top of my list but hard to resist cause it would look nice

chris
Old 02 October 2011, 01:01 AM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Count me in, if shipping to the Netherlands is somehow possible (at a reasonable cost)
Old 03 October 2011, 01:21 AM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dutch Scooby lover
Count me in, if shipping to the Netherlands is somehow possible (at a reasonable cost)
I will ask mate. But if i was you road trip would sound more like it lol. I wouldnt like to risk it in the hands of so many couriers lol.
Old 03 October 2011, 12:38 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob you cant afford to miss out on this!

If there's a big enuf weight save I'll consider it... **** me I have tried diets, but I love kebabs and beer too much lol
Old 03 October 2011, 03:26 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Waiting for a Andy to give me a labour price before I put my name down, would they be ok with a roof vent?
Old 03 October 2011, 03:58 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

So these are pre-preg baked in an autoclave jobbies?? If I had some spare cash I'd definitively have one, but I haven't.
Old 03 October 2011, 03:59 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

banny i spoke to the chap who makes these at Richard Henrys, and he said to me fitting a roof flap to it will be no problem and he would give me a hand, when his newage roofs become available, so assume classic roofs will be fine.
Old 03 October 2011, 06:03 PM
Jekyl
Scooby Regular

subscribing incase Aerosim research & i don't get this delete plate done. Wish you guys had put this up earlier.
Old 04 October 2011, 10:14 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Particularly good mod for those with uk cars that have sunroofs
Old 04 October 2011, 06:07 PM
shawy1976
Scooby Regular

if we can get 10 i'll 100% have 1 ....
Old 04 October 2011, 07:40 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Waiting for a Andy to give me a labour price before I put my name down, would they be ok with a roof vent?
Would like to hear on how much you get quoted aswell please banny
did you mean will it be ok to run a roof vent? Or if you meant can they fit a roof vent unfortunately not mate i did ask already but no luck.

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
So these are pre-preg baked in an autoclave jobbies?? If I had some spare cash I'd definitively have one, but I haven't.
You lost me at 'So' lol. Im sending him an update tonight so will ask and post his reply. Come on you know you want one lol.

Originally Posted by eggy790
banny i spoke to the chap who makes these at Richard Henrys, and he said to me fitting a roof flap to it will be no problem and he would give me a hand, when his newage roofs become available, so assume classic roofs will be fine.
Its not Richard Henry's that makes them they are one of the first to buy one for their project car and will be fitting theirs soon and offering a fitting service. 'ACR Composites' are the people that make this.

Originally Posted by Jekyl
subscribing incase Aerosim research & i don't get this delete plate done. Wish you guys had put this up earlier.
Lol i tried a group buy a while ago with not much luck but this is looking promising
Old 04 October 2011, 07:44 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

1. kirstybumx3
2. WUZ
8. shawy1976 (If lucky 10 is reached)
9. pugsleygti (If lucky 10 is reached)
10. Akcustomz (If lucky 10 is reached)

Last edited by AkCustomz; 04 October 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05 October 2011, 05:23 PM
Eacy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I would like to hear about shipping to Denmark, this groupbuy is really something
Old 05 October 2011, 05:30 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=AkCustomz;10267024]Its not Richard Henry's that makes them they are one of the first to buy one for their project car and will be fitting theirs soon and offering a fitting service. 'ACR Composites' are the people that make this.
[QUOTE]

Sorry i didnt mean Richard Henrys , the guy from ACR Composites was down at Richard Henrys with his evo before TOTB and i had a good chat with him and he described how they were made and how he would do me one for my car, he mentioned he could help make my roof flap fit it
Old 05 October 2011, 06:21 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eacy
I would like to hear about shipping to Denmark, this groupbuy is really something
I don't think he will ship them over the water mate. Due to insurance and mad prices. Unless you can arrange your own collection somehow? I will ask him though..

Originally Posted by eggy790
Sorry i didnt mean Richard Henrys , the guy from ACR Composites was down at Richard Henrys with his evo before TOTB and i had a good chat with him and he described how they were made and how he would do me one for my car, he mentioned he could help make my roof flap fit it
Yeah this roof stuff is only the start there are plenty more bits to come :P
Old 05 October 2011, 06:26 PM
AkCustomz
Scooby Regular

Ok guys got Chris at 'ACR' to answer some of the questions you lot had. Im just going to paste them into this so happy reading lol..

' im unsure on the weight of the standard steel roof skin, i spoke to Andy and the steel roof skin which incorporates a sun roof weighs 20Kg which he removed '

' The roofs are manufactured using a resin infusion process and oven post cured. These are not a pre preg material neither are they autoclave baked. Unfortunatly i can't quite stretch to a £50K autoclave big enough to get these in. lol. As for pre preg being the best carbon you can get i would say this is aload of nonsense, the resin infusion process produces a part with mechanical properties almost identical to pre preg. They use this technique to produce boat hulls and wind turbine blades, so its a tried and tested manufacturing technique. '

' Alan i need to say that Andy isn't offering a fitting service, i did however ask him and he didnt sound too keen, please could you update the group buy '

' Ive just spoke to a local glass company, the best price i can get for screens out and replaced once the roof is fitted is £190 For us to take down the head lining, gutter trims off, and drill the spot welds to take off the old steel roof and re fit bond and rivet the new carbon roof on and re fir the trims we'd be looking at around £260 so all in all fitted price woulkd be £450.

I do need to stess though that the glass company cannot garuntee not to break the screens taking them out and will not cover the cost if the unthinkable should happen. We can also not cover this cost, this is something you need to advise the lads in the group buy. '
Old 05 October 2011, 09:34 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AkCustomz
' Ive just spoke to a local glass company, the best price i can get for screens out and replaced once the roof is fitted is £190 For us to take down the head lining, gutter trims off, and drill the spot welds to take off the old steel roof and re fit bond and rivet the new carbon roof on and re fir the trims we'd be looking at around £260 so all in all fitted price woulkd be £450. '[/I][/B][/COLOR]
I take it he means fitting price of £450 as opposed to fitted?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Roofs (93-00) Classics Only