Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

Get Your Discounts on TOP Brands at www.opieoils.co.uk

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2010, 03:00 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get Your Discounts on TOP Brands at www.opieoils.co.uk

Did you know that you are entitled to great discounts on TOP Brand products at www.opieoils.co.uk

We offer discounts on all the products that we stock from the following TOP Brands. Delivered to your door!

Oils and Fluids for Cars, Bikes and more....
Amsoil, Castrol, Fuchs, Gulf Competition, Millers, Mobil, Motul, Redline and Silkolene

Filters for Cars, Bikes and more....
K&N, Mahle and UFI

Spark Plugs/Glow Plugs for Cars, Bikes and more....
Denso and NGK

Cleaning, Detailing and Polishing Products
Bilt Hamber Clays, Dodo Juice, Meguiars and Muc-Off

We also sell Brembo Brake parts, Trico wiper blades and Oil Safe workshop products.

To obtain your discounts, register via the link below selecting your Club or the Opie Oils Loyalty Club when prompted and all of your orders will be automatically discounted in future.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/createaccount-short.aspx

Registration is free so why not start saving today.....take a look at what we have to offer whilst you're there.

Don't forget to add yourself to our mailing list, when registering for advice of any additional offers that we are running to save you even more money.

Thanks for reading.

The opieoils.co.uk Team.
Old 16 August 2010, 03:27 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your website, what would you recommend for coolant/anti freeze for a 96 V2 wrx?
Is there a better one to choose from i.e a pink coloured one that's long life which is apparently safer for our engines?

Thanks
Tim
Old 16 August 2010, 04:09 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Hi Tim

If you want the best coolant, go for the Motul Inugel and yes, the orange one is a very good choice.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-882-coolant.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 August 2010, 04:23 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
Hi Tim

If you want the best coolant, go for the Motul Inugel and yes, the orange one is a very good choice.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-882-coolant.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Thanks for the reply, just one thing i forgot to ask, is it just that coolant you put in or is it one bottle & then fill with water? Oh & any new discount codes the SUMMERSALE code has ended

Cheers

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 16 August 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 16 August 2010, 08:22 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Hi

The ones with Ultra in the name are concentrates, the others are already diluted.The Ultra ones dilute at one bottle of concentrate to 3 of water.

Summersale has ended, but Motul products are reduced by an extra 10% at the moment.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 August 2010, 08:25 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

what plugs would you recommend for my classic 96 scooby?
Old 17 August 2010, 09:12 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Denso VK16 if its a non-turbo, VK20Y for a turbo

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-4218-den...plug-vk16.aspx
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-4223-den...lug-vk20y.aspx
Old 17 August 2010, 11:11 PM
tlprime
Scooby Newbie

opie oils tell you wrong information sold me diff oil for sti with dccd what wasnt anygood for the lsd ,caused crabbing and clunking rnd corners friend who ordered it for me was told we could have discount for right oil what a joke as there is time labour and could of damaged diff so beware!!
Old 18 August 2010, 09:07 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

First of all, there is no harm done. Second, if you got a diff oil that wasn't right and we recommended it, did anyone tell us so we could correct it? Did your mate just buy it without us recommending it? If we did sell you the wrong diff oil, that would have been because we haven't been told it was a DCCD unit.

There are plenty of people on here who we have given advice to who have been very pleased with our service and advice. There have also been cases where the oil has not worked for some people, even though the oil has been fine in exactly the same cars (that has happened when people have used the Syn 5 in DCCD cars, some are fine, others aren't). If we have recommended the oil and it hasn't worked, we always send out a replacement as long as the customer lets us know. If they haven't let us know there is a problem, we can't try to fix it.
Old 18 August 2010, 05:37 PM
tlprime
Scooby Newbie

First of all, there is no harm done. Second, if you got a diff oil that wasn't right and we recommended it, did anyone tell us so we could correct it? Did your mate just buy it without us recommending it? If we did sell you the wrong diff oil, that would have been because we haven't been told it was a DCCD unit.

There are plenty of people on here who we have given advice to who have been very pleased with our service and advice. There have also been cases where the oil has not worked for some people, even though the oil has been fine in exactly the same cars (that has happened when people have used the Syn 5 in DCCD cars, some are fine, others aren't). If we have recommended the oil and it hasn't worked, we always send out a replacement as long as the customer lets us know. If they haven't let us know there is a problem, we can't try to fix it.
we asked for your advice and what you recommended car details was given 54plate impreza sti your site even recomends the one what was sent friend sent email to make sure it was right diff oil and he had a reply to say this was right oil, when oil came we had no reason to doubt it as we had confirmed by yourself it was ok so we done oil change then when diff got hot crabbing and clunking started my friend then emailed to see what you could do about it and was told you wouldnt change your site details as not everyone has had a problem , so i had to go subaru get right oil and change again at more expense, when i went threw your site you list a race diff oil what is marked lsd so that would of been correct oil for a 54plate sti , i know mistakes are made but to say i could have a discount on the right oil at more expense to me thanks for your reply
Old 18 August 2010, 07:51 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Hi

I remember this now.

When your friend emailed me he did not mention that the car had a DCCD and as far as we were concerned the oil is fine to use in the Impreza. I'm sure if you asked people on here they would tell you that they have used the Fuchs Gear Syn (if I remember correctly) and it's been fine. The car specifications are a 75w-90 GL5 oil and that is what the oil meets.

As we had not been told there was a DCCD, we could not say that the oil would not have been suitable (and other people have used it in a DCCD without problems, to my knowledge). Even though we had based our recommendation on the information given, we offered an alternative at what I remember was a heavily discounted rate. If we had been told the car had a DCCD, and the oil didn't work out for you, we would have given you the right oil free of charge.

Cheers

Tim
Old 18 August 2010, 09:11 PM
tlprime
Scooby Newbie

Hi

I remember this now.

When your friend emailed me he did not mention that the car had a DCCD and as far as we were concerned the oil is fine to use in the Impreza. I'm sure if you asked people on here they would tell you that they have used the Fuchs Gear Syn (if I remember correctly) and it's been fine. The car specifications are a 75w-90 GL5 oil and that is what the oil meets.

As we had not been told there was a DCCD, we could not say that the oil would not have been suitable (and other people have used it in a DCCD without problems, to my knowledge). Even though we had based our recommendation on the information given, we offered an alternative at what I remember was a heavily discounted rate. If we had been told the car had a DCCD, and the oil didn't work out for you, we would have given you the right oil free of charge.

Cheers

Tim
tim,
if theres a misunderstanding fair enough but i was under the impression all subaru impreza sti type uk had dccd of this year (54 plate) surely you could of advised the race lsd oil for this model if it was on your database as such. my friend felt bad as he has used you for a long time with no problems so sods law this would happen. i would be happy if you could just look into this for me as subaru insist that the diff reacts badly to any other oil but the 1 they sell but they would say that as a main dealer but now i have no reason to disbelieve it, i'm not trying to drag this out but this is the reply from the sx owners club where my mate uses -
I didn't realise you had DCCD, but the Gear Syn 75w-90 meets the specs needed for the DCCD set up, a 75w-90 GL5 oil, it doesn't need to have the limited slip additives although some people use LSD oils and no one has reported any problems to us with it before. What may well work is the Redline Friction Modifier.

Other people have used oils that are limited slip diff and gearbox suitable, so that would be the Fuchs Syn 5 or Millers CRX NT LS.

If you want to go for one of the other oils, I'll knock the price of the Gear Syn off it for you.
Cheers
Tim
as you can see, it wasnt all that helpful.....thats why i bit the bullet and went to the subaru dealer.....
Old 19 August 2010, 10:37 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Hi

We can only go with the information we have and that shows that the 54 plate STis are available with or without a DCCD. If any one else on here can shed any light on that it would be appreciated.

Subaru are always going to tell you that their oils are the only suitable ones, they want to sell them. Was it a Subaru dealership or Subaru UK that you spoke to? Just curious. We've dealt with plenty of cars with the DCCD, but it seems they can be a bit random in what oils they like. Some are fine with things like the Syngear and Castrol Syntrax, both are fairly basic semi-synthetics without limited slip additives. Others seem to need a limited slip diff specific oil.

The reason I offered you another oil at a reduced price was because as far as we were concerned, we were both at fault - your mate didn't mention the DCCD and we didn't ask if it had one. The Syngear is the cheapest option for the Impreza gear box and diffs, so if everyone bought that, then told us it was no good and we sent out a top end oil as a replacement, we would be losing a lot of money. How about we refund you for the oil to end the matter?

Cheers

Tim
Old 19 August 2010, 10:42 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The only 54 plate uk sti available with DCCD was the WR1, only the imports had dccd from 2003.

Banny
Old 19 August 2010, 11:28 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Thanks for clearing that up
Old 19 August 2010, 12:45 PM
tlprime
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up
just phoned subaru some 54plate sti uk cars have this standard from factory probly be good idea if you could put add something on choosein diff oil with a option with dccd or without, surely a sti without dccd should have the syn race you sell what is marked for lsd anyway?
Old 20 August 2010, 01:35 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I've asked the programmers to add the DCCD as an option, although officially the spec is still a 75w-90 GL5 oil that doesn't need to be limited slip specific. I think a LSD oil is better for the DCCD than a normal one. The programmers said it can be done, but may take a while.