Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

HSD Coilover Group Buy! As cheap as £560!

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2009, 01:27 PM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSD Coilover Group Buy! As cheap as £560!

GROUP BUY NOW CLOSED!!!!

HSD Coilovers Group Buy

We're running this group buy as an opening introduction to Scoobynet, we've been selling HSD Coilovers in various guises for the last 3 years with great success, and to build on that success we now have them in stock for Subaru Impreza GC8 and GDA/GDB fitments. We've used HSD products on our own road and competition cars for the last few years, and have a huge customer base with massive amounts of positive feedback. On both a personal and business level we can say with confidence that we feel these are the best performing coilovers anywhere near the price bracket. They retail at £745 including VAT, but this group buy will bring the price down by as much as £185, down to £560.

The group buy is for HSD HR Coilover kits for GC8, GDA/GDB 5x100 and GDA/GDB 5x114.3 fitments. You will have a choice of spring rates, 8kg/6kg, 7kg/5kg, 6kg/4kg or 5kg/4kg. Bear in mind that the quality of the HSD dampers means you can usually run a stiffer spring rate than you'd expect while retaining comfort and useability. For GC8 we'd recommend 7kg/5kg for fast road & track use, if you're more concerned about ride comfort then a step down to 5kg/4kg may be preferred. For GDA/B we'd recommend 8kg/6kg for fast road and track use but again if you want a softer ride then 6/4 is recommended.

How do I enter the group buy?
To be part of the group buy you can either pick up the phone and call us or purchase the £50 deposit through the webshop. The deadline for signing up to the group buy is Monday 31st August. Please note, the earlier you pay for the deposit, the more likely the group buy is to acheive bigger quantity discount, as we will have more confirmed numbers.

Scoobynet Group Buy Deposit Payment

Once numbers have been finalised, On the 1st of September we will put up another link to another item to purchase in the webshop to complete your payment. Your coilovers will be dispatched as soon as possible once the final payment has been received.

When does the group buy end?
The group buy will be run until the 31st of August, final payment will be due by 1st October, giving 1 clear month to pay.

What are the group buy discounts?

If we get orders for 5 + sets, the total price is £650 inc vat

If we get orders for 10 + sets, the total price is £600 inc vat

If we get orders for 20 + sets, the total price is £560 inc vat

Shipping costs:
Shipping will be calculated at the normal rate in the final payment you make. You can check what the shipping cost to your country is by adding a set of HSDs into you basket in the webshop.

Unfortunately this offer is not available to customers in Southern Ireland, for HSD purchases in Southern Ireland please contact us for details.

Paid up group buy members:

14 Paid up members now!! £600 final price!!

Last edited by Ben@Driftworks; 02 September 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 23 July 2009, 05:05 PM
rpsxr
Scooby Regular

hi

that sounds really good i must say!
you talk about stiff-/softness (for a gda/b. but how soft is soft then? or how stiff is stiff? i know that'll be hard to say. but will my teeth fall out with the stiffer one?
also, is everything included in the price ie just a straight bolt on? and ifso, is it fairly easy to DIY?

Thanks for the offer anyway,

Rgds Robert

(forgive me for being a bit un-educated in the suspension side of things)

Last edited by rpsxr; 23 July 2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 23 July 2009, 05:21 PM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

It's really hard to say! Personally, I'd be comfortable with either, but I tend to focus very much on how the car handles outright, and any sacrifice in that annoys me enough to make it worth it! It also depends on perspective, what cars you're used to driving and what you feel is comfortable.

In reality, on Scottish roads, if you don't do much track work then the softer setup I suggested (6/4) will most likely be perfect!

As a note, none of the above setups will make your teeth fall out! lol All of the HSDs are nicely damped so they're never strictly uncomfortable, just obviously stiffer = more body movement and softer = less body movement, either way they're well damped so don't transmit shocks through the body harshly.

The units come as complete bolt on units, assembled with topmounts. Provided you have a decent mechanical ability, can follow instructions and take the car to get aligned after fitting then there's no reason it's not an easy DIY.
Old 23 July 2009, 07:49 PM
rpsxr
Scooby Regular

Thanx very much for the input!!
Dont really want to hijack the topic, but i have a problem with my suspension and thats why i'm looking at coilovers.
https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...behaviour.html

Could you have a look in that topic pls.
Because when you say stiffer, you surely dont mean what i describe in that thread?
probably better to answer there so to keep this thread 'clean', if not too late hehe

thx rgds Robert
Old 23 July 2009, 09:56 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do these compare to BC coilovers in terms of spec?
Old 24 July 2009, 09:52 AM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

The HSD HRs directly compare to the RM series in terms of spec, inverted monotube setup for reduced unsprung weight and less heat transfer, with camber adjustable pillowball mounts front and rear. The only difference really spec-wise is the number of clicks the damping adjustment has, but they do have just as wide a range of travel, just less clicks to make the adjustment process simpler!
Old 24 July 2009, 11:32 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

So these seem to be a higher spec than the BC "BR" range?
What garuntee to do they come with & if one of them needs to be replaced how much would one unit cost at a later date?

Do these have the long adjusters for the rears that come up behing the rear seats & is it inc in price?

Also I have read that the BC coilovers are oil based & HSD are gas filled, any differences, advantages/disadvantages?

Last edited by rickya; 24 July 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 24 July 2009, 12:05 PM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

Yep they are higher spec than the BR's.

They come with 12 months guarantee, to replace a damper due to an accident etc would be £160 for an inverted unit, springs are £25 each, and we sell all the other components too. If any problem occurs after the 12 months guarantee is up then we'll do our best to care of it and if we can't resolve it FOC then we'll do whatever we can based on the situation.

I can't comment on the BCs exactly but the HSDs are a gas pressurised damper but they do still use oil (as with all dampers) to control the damping, pressurising the oil inside the damper improves the response and consistency of the damper and is a part of the monotube design.

If you require the long adjusters with the kit then we can include them on this group buy, yes! If it ends up that the majority would like them then we'll make sure they're included in all kits by default in the future.

Last edited by Ben@Driftworks; 24 July 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 12:46 PM
spikester
Scooby Regular

Interested in these for a 03 WRX.
The car will be used on the track and the road.
Which springs would you recommend, it is not my daily driver.
Old 24 July 2009, 02:04 PM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the 8/6 spring rates if it's for track/fast road, will still be perfectly useable on the road but better on the track and for proper fast use!
Old 24 July 2009, 03:08 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I was going to go for the BC BR coilovers but if these are availiable at a similar price then Id be interested. Sti SpecC MY06 with 6/4 spring rate & long rear adjusters, if the price/discount is right
Old 25 July 2009, 04:41 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Interested:

1) RickyA
2) Spikester?
3)
4)
5)
6)
Old 25 July 2009, 11:24 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested:

1) RickyA
2) Spikester?
3) wiley (2002 wrx) 6/4 with rear adjusters
4)
5)
6)

wiley
Old 26 July 2009, 06:00 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Iv been doing some research on HSD & they look quite good for the price. IMO anyone like myself who missed the BC group buy should do some research like I did on the net & then decide, yourself. (Check out a lot of the US & Australian drift/nissan/skyline etc sites). The main thing that swayed me is the larger diameter mono tube design & you can choose your spring rates. Just as long as we can get a group buy going so it brings the price down to within my budget.
Old 26 July 2009, 06:59 PM
Shiver
Scooby Regular

1) RickyA
2) Spikester?
4) Shiver (2004 WRX wagon) 6/4 with rear adjusters
5)
6)

Interested. Cheers!

Last edited by Shiver; 26 July 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 26 July 2009, 11:41 PM
Fat Boi Mike
Scooby Regular

Was just addind my name to the list but not sure which to go for. Im after a fast road setup, not track. I have a 2002 WRX, so if 6/4 are softish, and 8/6 for track. Would 7/5 be best for me? Cheers
Old 27 July 2009, 10:13 AM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

If you just want fast road & day to day use with no track use, then I'd suggest going for the 6/4 version. The only time you'd really feel the compromise is if you were driving REALLY fast, and unless you're a regular track goer I doubt you'll find those limits on the road!

Last edited by Ben@Driftworks; 27 July 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 27 July 2009, 12:49 PM
spikester
Scooby Regular

1) RickyA
2) Spikester
5)
6)

Defo interested.

Old 30 July 2009, 12:53 PM
spikester
Scooby Regular

There must be more of us than this?
Old 30 July 2009, 01:31 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

1) RickyA
2) Spikester
5) Rice Rocket 6/4 with rear adjusters ONLY IF THE PRICE GETS TO £560
6)
Old 30 July 2009, 05:01 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

I'd like a set of these for my P1 - Are they only available in the green/black ?

Also, how long would it take for them to turn up ?
I'm after a set for this week so i can get them on the car before 8th August
Old 31 July 2009, 09:45 AM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

Scoobyp1, yes only available in green/black, rules of the group buy means it's running until 31st August, so nothing would turn up before then. HOWEVER, if you're willing to provide us with a review for Scoobynet then we'd be more than happy to sort something out ASAP. We could have a set on your doorstep Monday morning.

Give me a call? 0845 869 2555

Just to make it clear to sign up for the GB you do need to pay the deposit, otherwise we have no way of securing numbers or securing price. We had a similar situation on our recent group buy on DW and as soon as people came out of the woodwork and actually placed deposits numbers rocketed. As soon as we hit 40 people we got another 25 within a couple of days! I'd encourage anybody interested to put their name on the provisional list above for people's reference, and when we have a few deposits paid I'll update an official list!

Last edited by Ben@Driftworks; 31 July 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01 August 2009, 02:11 AM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

Sorry i've not been able to call today due to work commitments

What size is the inner strut in mm ?

Also, what is the diameter of the spring ?

Sorry to ask, its just something i've been asked to try and find out

Thanks

Last edited by scoobyp1; 01 August 2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03 August 2009, 10:10 AM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

The piston is 44mm. The spring is 65mm ID.
Old 03 August 2009, 06:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for that today Ben I will get them fitted either this week or next and I will tell you how they feel on my car. I'm looking forward to the car not rolling about on hard acceleration
Old 04 August 2009, 12:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Now that is quick delivery! I bought them at 3pm yesterday and they were delivered and in my hand by 11.30am the next day

I took a few pictures of them just to show what they are like and they will be on the car this week. They seem excellent quality and look the dogs already. What I did notice of these coilovers was the extra adjustment as standard on the rear struts which the BC coilovers don't seem to have ???

Box weighs a ton

Nicely wrapped front

Top view of the front

Top view of front and rear

Front strut

Front and rear strut

Old 05 August 2009, 06:22 PM
impgb270
Scooby Regular

Put me down, just another 34 to go

1) RickyA
2) Spikester
5) Rice Rocket 6/4 with rear adjusters ONLY IF THE PRICE GETS TO £560
6) Impgb270
Old 06 August 2009, 12:28 PM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

Right guys!! I can see that our original terms of the group buy were a little tight considering HSD is a brand new name in the world of Scoobynet. Stevebt's feedback should help reassure everyone, but along with that I've revised the terms to make them a bit keener for all. This is a very much one time offer, in future we will HAVE to see the bigger numbers to make these prices.

So! The deposit required has now been reduced to £50, and I've dropped the numbers required to see better prices. I'd be VERY VERY surprised if we didn't at least see a £600 price by the end of the month.

Can everybody who has signed up for the group buy above please go ahead and order the deposit, since we're at 5 so far it's guaranteed to be £650 which is already £100 under retail.

Also note that we have large stocks of Impreza fitments at the moment, so the majority of the group buy members will get their coilovers the day after they pay the final payment, which could be as soon as 2nd September!

Check out this video of a customer of ours in Germany running the HSD HRs on his 200SX S14 around the Nurburgring, it shows very clearly just how well they perform in extreme conditions. With 298bhp on normal street tyres (NOT semi-slick trackday tyres) he manages an 8:25 FULL lap, which is a phenominal time, would be comfortably under the 8 minute mark if measuring the 'BTG' time normally banded about.

HSD Coilovers Nurburgring on Vimeo

Last edited by Ben@Driftworks; 06 August 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06 August 2009, 07:24 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Hi Ben,

I'm interested!

What spring rates would you recommend to match a MY02 STI with Prodrive springs? If possible I'm looking for something a bit more comfy on the road but a bit more compliant on the track. Is that possible?

Are these units TUV approved or similar? How would you expect them last in a Scottish winter?

I understand adjustable top mounts are included. How much extra for the long adjusters for the rears?

Cheers, Mark
Old 07 August 2009, 11:44 AM
Ben@Driftworks
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

If you're doing trackdays and looking for something that handles better but has more compliance then my personal preference would be the 6/4 rates, you could step it down to 5/4 for a bit more comfort but since you say you're doing at least some track work I'd stick with the 'default' 6/4.

Basically either way it will be more comfortable in terms of compliance, the ride and way the car handles bumps will be better and more refined, however they are a stiffer rate than the Prodrive springs so they will communicate the road surface more. In reality this ends up only being a positive thing, since an STi on Prodrive springs isn't exactly a 'rolls royce' ride in the first place you're not going to complain about it being a bit firmer, you'll just notice the more compliant ride and improvement in handling.

Adjustable top mounts are included front and rear yes, there's no real need for the long adjusters in this case though since both front and rear shocks are inverted monotubes, so the adjuster is on the 'bottom' of the strut. If you want long adjusters with the kit that's no problem, I can include them for £8.50 a pair or £15 if you want them front and rear. It does make adjusting slightly easier from underneath the car, but they're really not necessary.

I'd expect them to last just fine in a Scottish winter, plenty of our customers daily drive their cars through all weather conditions with no problems whatsoever! We've been supplying and personally using HSD made products with the same manufacturing standards for getting on for 3 years without any real problems so that says it all really. They're not TUV approved, TUV approval is in the works but for now a no.

Quick Reply: HSD Coilover Group Buy! As cheap as £560!