Notices

engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2014, 11:02 PM
r-boyo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry engine knock

hey just to pick some brains : i have a subaru impreza 1997 uk turbo running equal length headers (sound like crap) 3inch turbo back exhaust and 10mm ht leads, i have been driving the car around absolutly fine all day when i pulled into the car wash to get it cleaned, i turned her off got it washed and drove off, about a mile down the road and it decided to have a faint knock so i pulle dover checked oil after it settled for a minute and it was fine so drove a little thurther and the little knock turned into a big quite diesely knock but very high pitched,
it apears to be coming from the left hand head furthest part away from the front of the car, trailerd it home and tested compressions and got roughly got around 125psi out of each cylinder only did this as i thaught the piston might of given way, i have read up about the cambelt pulley making the same kind of knock so i will check that tomorow but can any one point me in the right direction before i get rid of the car of what it might be or a resolution to point me in some kind of direction to try

thanks
Old 17 March 2014, 11:23 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Do a search on here, you should be able to gather enough info to tell you whether the bottom end has gone.
If it has, I'd suggest going for a second hand block with a 30day guarantee. Many on here will disagree with that, but considering the age of yours I'd argue that a full rebuild (if you do have a spun bearing) wouldn't be economically viable.
Old 17 March 2014, 11:33 PM
r-boyo
Scooby Newbie

Lovely cheers, if i find the bottom end has gone and i do need another block where would be the best place or a recomendation to get one, obviously not at a great expence but also reliable enough to do the job for a good few more years too come?
Old 17 March 2014, 11:38 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

You'll have to use your own resources for that. The company I bought mine from has long since gone bust, but I good breakers would be a good start, and a complete 30day warranty is a must. Make sure you get the right model of engine, there are quite a few variants. That would be my course of action, anyway.