Notices

Alternator/Misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2014, 08:33 PM
ep2007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/Misfire?

Bit of a strange one here but let's see if anyone can narrow down my problem!

My 96 Impreza started to get a squeaking noise coming from the power steering/alternator belt, which stops after about 15-20 seconds, just over a week ago. I started the car yesterday morning and it fired up fine, but seemed to struggle to tick over....then the engine itself started to rock!

Turned it off, started it up again and after the same thing happened for a few seconds, then it calmed down and seemed to tick over nicely.

Again, turned it off, started it again about 10 minutes later and again, perfect!

Came home tonight and still starts and ticks over fine?

The only thing is the alternator seems to sound like a fan has kicked in after the car has been running for 5-10 seconds. The squeak is also still there.

I also noticed that there is a small amount of fluid sitting on top of the block that seems to have come from the power steering pump, hose seems to be fine so maybe a seal could have gone on the pump, so that will need replacing. Just not sure if that has anything to do with the issues or not?

Any ideas on what could be happening or why I would have had the engine struggle and rock, but now all seem ok?
Old 11 March 2014, 11:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried starting it with the alternaotor belt removed?

It might be the PS Pump.

The problem is, I can't see how it could effect the engine like that. Sounds as if it was running on three.
Old 12 March 2014, 12:48 PM
ep2007
Scooby Regular

The problem is it seems to be running fine now? That's what I can't seem to get my head around!

If I do anything to try and diagnose, with it now running ok, I wouldn't know if it was what caused the original problem?

What would you suggest I do first...compression test?
Old 12 March 2014, 01:00 PM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Easy job to take alt belt off, runs fine then it narrows it down to alt, pas pump or crank pulley. Then go from there

Myself most recently had something similar: bought an early v2 classic with knackered starter. I replaced starter but engine didn't sound right, couldn't put my finger on it. I also did the diagnostic check with the plugs under the steering column & I got lots of electrical buzzing & interference like lots of shorting & the sensors/fans/relays were not doing their usual self-checking clicks. I firstly checked the charging system - battery & alt tested fine. I then suspected ecu was fried so swapped a spare in & no change. Had a spare battery & alt belt anyway so chucked them on but still had the same problems. I changed the alternator & hey presto everything fine now! Even though I checked battery & alt charge which showed as ok the alt was still obviously faulty somehow doing something to affect all the electrics. Perhaps your pas pump is leaking & fluid's got onto belt & into alt?

Last edited by cushti; 12 March 2014 at 01:16 PM.