defi fuel pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2014, 05:38 PM
quango2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defi fuel pressure gauge

hi all,

has anyone got one fitted? any ideas where I can get the adapter to go on the fuel line? I'm thinking of getting one next week.

also, i have a fuelab pressure reg with a gauge fitted on it...anyone know if the threads of the defi sender will fit the gauge threads? as it would make life easier lol
Old 21 February 2014, 06:18 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't fitted a Defi .
Demontweeks have various adaptors in a range of sizes/combinations to choose from.
I'm fitting a Stack pressure gauge when it finally arrives, apparently moved to the States.
This to my Fuelab FPR.
The Stack bar pressure sender has a M10X1 male fitting ( the PSI model is 1/8npt)
I think the port for the gauge on the Fuelab is 1/8npt, my plan is to attach adaptor in the gauge port and then fit the gauge and Stack sender to the adaptor.
Hope this helps in a roundabout sort of way.
Trev
Old 21 February 2014, 06:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got one, I fitted it all except the sender, sorry. The sender is just screwed into the fpr that Darren fitted at DLM, when he and Harvey rebuilt the car.

Do you have a Defi boost gauge? It's well worth linking the two if you do. Then the fuel pressure gauge shows the differential pressure...the amount that it is above boost, which should remain constant. You then set the alarm one or two divisions blow what it runs at, and if the asounds, back off, you could be running lean due to insufficient fuel.
Old 21 February 2014, 07:03 PM
quango2k
Scooby Regular

i do yes, fitted them this afternoon..boost, oil pressure and oil temp. not sure what you mean by setting the alarm though? mine is set to 46psi..do you mean set the alarm just below that?
Old 22 February 2014, 02:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

psi? What's that? LOL.

No, you link the two gauges, boost and fuel pressure, by pressing the "Up" and "down" buttons at the same time, when a red warning light comes on at the left hand end of the control unit.

The fuel pressure gauge is now measuring "Differential Pressure". In this mode, the fuel pressure meter indicates the pressure value which is the intake manifold pressure value subtracted from the fuel pressure value.

Thus it should remain constant and the alarm on the fuel prerssure gauge can be set to go off if it drops about 2 divisions below what it runs at...on mine, that's 3.3 Bar.

See here: http://www.defi-shop.com/media/dlink.pdf page 102, (the manual starts at page 55).
Old 22 February 2014, 04:36 PM
quango2k
Scooby Regular

haha, yeah, getting used to this BAR thingy is something else.

Yeah, just found the explanation in the manual, seems easy enough to work out thanks.

PS: what readings do you get from your gauges in BAR? IE, vacuum when cold/warm, oil press and temp cold and warm? i have no idea what is good or bad haha!
Old 22 February 2014, 06:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine, from a 2.5 forged engine are as follows.

Oil pressure. 2.3 bar hot tickover, 5 bar hot under power.
4-5 bar cold tickover, 7 bar cold under power.

Oil temperature. 86-90 when driving normally, reaching 110 when really going some in hot conditions.

Boost. Limited to 1.5 bar. Produces 1 bar at 2800 rpm.

Fuel pressure. 3.3 bar above boost pressure. varies only by one or two divisions at most.

Water temperature.86 degrees C, hardly ever varies.
Old 23 February 2014, 12:30 PM
quango2k
Scooby Regular

awesome, thanks mine sounds very similar so thats great
Old 01 March 2014, 08:57 PM
quango2k
Scooby Regular

another question for you dude, on your water temp defi gauge, where did you fit the sender? and what adapters did you use?
Old 01 March 2014, 09:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I removed the stock water temperature gauge sender, and fitted the Defi sender in it's place, no adaptor needed.

However, after a week I couldn't get used to seeing the w/t gauge "dead", so bought one of those inserts for the top hose, cut about 1" out of the top hose and fitted the stock sender in there after extending the wiring slightly. Now I have both...the stock one lags the Defi quite a lot.
Old 01 March 2014, 09:22 PM
quango2k
Scooby Regular

do you think it was worthwhile fitting it? I'm only thinking of getting one so i can have boost and fuel pressure on the pillar then oil temp/pressure and water temp in the centre pod.