Correct Actuator Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2014, 09:49 PM
davis_luke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Actuator Adjustment

Hi Guys,

Just bought my second Scooby, a 1999 UK 2000 Turbo. I noticed a annoying rattle which turned out to be the wastegate on the turbo, I took the actuator rod off to investigate and discovered it was holding the wastegate flap open? What is the correct position, should it not be holding it closed? I've tightened up slightly but not sure when boost should start coming in? Thanks
Old 07 February 2014, 11:20 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Adjust it so the actuator arm fits onto the wastegate tightly,without having to pull the arm to fit it but at its very last turn before you do have to pull the arm, then, do about 6 half turns.
Old 08 February 2014, 12:58 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
Adjust it so the actuator arm fits onto the wastegate tightly,without having to pull the arm to fit it but at its very last turn before you do have to pull the arm, then, do about 6 half turns.
Isn't it .5 bar with a vacum line straight onto the actuator without being tee'd to the solenoid? I may be wrong.
Old 08 February 2014, 03:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general rule is to remove the rod from the wastegate arm and holding the wastegate closed, adjust the rod length to half the hole short. using hefty pliers, pull the rod to fit back on the arm. Use a new circlip and tighten the locknut.
You may need to make small adjustments to prevent overboost.
I had a similar problem on a virtually new MDX321T Luckily, I corrected the slight overboost by adjustment of the solenoid duty on the AVC-R boost controller. Otherwise, it could have meant a trip back to the mapper!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 08 February 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12 February 2014, 11:01 AM
davis_luke
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help chaps.

When I do this I seem to get an awful lot of activity from my VTA dump valve? Especially when cruising at say 70mph, it likes to give off a constant hissing noise? What would be classed as boosting to early?

Thanks.
Old 12 February 2014, 12:01 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davis_luke
Thanks for your help chaps.

When I do this I seem to get an awful lot of activity from my VTA dump valve? Especially when cruising at say 70mph, it likes to give off a constant hissing noise? What would be classed as boosting to early?

Thanks.
You shouldn't get any noise from the VTA dv unless you are letting off of the throttle. If it is hissing when you are cruising it is leaking. Are you sure its the DV you can hear? If so I would consider checking it. What type is it?
Old 12 February 2014, 12:05 PM
davis_luke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
You shouldn't get any noise from the VTA dv unless you are letting off of the throttle. If it is hissing when you are cruising it is leaking. Are you sure its the DV you can hear? If so I would consider checking it. What type is it?
That's what I thought, my last classic had the standard recirc valve on it so wasn't sure how they are meant to behave with a VTA. I have had a couple of Cavalier Turbo's with Bailey DV's in my time and I cannot remember having this issue.

I have taken the DV off to have a look but it doesn't seem to have any name or brand on it?
Old 12 February 2014, 12:20 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davis_luke
That's what I thought, my last classic had the standard recirc valve on it so wasn't sure how they are meant to behave with a VTA. I have had a couple of Cavalier Turbo's with Bailey DV's in my time and I cannot remember having this issue.

I have taken the DV off to have a look but it doesn't seem to have any name or brand on it?
Do you have a boost gauge? If not I recommend getting a decent quality gauge and see what your boost is doing. It could be all over the place if you have a leak.
Old 12 February 2014, 12:42 PM
davis_luke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
Do you have a boost gauge? If not I recommend getting a decent quality gauge and see what your boost is doing. It could be all over the place if you have a leak.
Yes I have a boost gauge, I hear the hissing at around 70ish mph with the boost gauge reading around -0.2/-0.3bar? If I put a bit more throttle on it stops, if I let off completely it stops also? Confused.....