Timing belt cover oil leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2014, 08:06 PM
karl1991
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt cover oil leak!!!

hi guys

found oil leaking from the timing belt cover last week, took it to a garage where they replaced the rocker seals and cam seals. The guy I took it to ran it for 30mins with no oil leaking. After running her for about 200 miles the oil leak has reappeared could this be due to boost going through causing higher oil pressure ? and what could cause the high oil pressure ?
Old 05 February 2014, 08:28 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karl1991
hi guys

found oil leaking from the timing belt cover last week, took it to a garage where they replaced the rocker seals and cam seals. The guy I took it to ran it for 30mins with no oil leaking. After running her for about 200 miles the oil leak has reappeared could this be due to boost going through causing higher oil pressure ? and what could cause the high oil pressure ?
Assuming that they did a good job on the rocker covers and cam seals and that these are not still leaking it could be the oil pump or the crank seal. Boost will not cause higher oil pressure (well not unless you have a problem elsewhere) but the higher the RPM the faster the pump spins and the higher the oil pressure... However my Oil pressure is about the same at cold tick over as it is right up at 6,000rpm. So it shouldn't effect things much really.

I would have the covers off and trace the leak... Easier without the rad in the way tho.
Old 05 February 2014, 08:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it back, they can be tricky to get right, needs to be spotless as in surgically clean slightest bit of crap will cause a leak eventually,and a very light smear of gasket sealer,(although some say not but sealer worked for me) new gaskets and rubbers around the bolts that hold the rocker covers on as well as the cam seals, if he's not been too thorough when putting it all back together as the oil gets up to temp it'll get thiner and find it's way through as it has done.

Boost won't have anything to do with it as any pressure build up will be let out via the cam cover breather pipes.
Old 05 February 2014, 08:49 PM
karl1991
Scooby Newbie

ok thanks just stressing me out need to get it sorted it off back to the garage tomorrow so will keep you posted when i hear news
Old 06 February 2014, 03:35 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Hi,welcome to scoobynet... hope you get things fixed, what colour/year is yours, I live in Aber, if you have any problems, I "might" know someone who can help
Old 06 February 2014, 04:18 PM
karl1991
Scooby Newbie

hiya i got a 53 plate blobeye blue the colour a subaru should be :-) first one only had it a couple of weeks ye its with jamie on the industrial estate at the moment just waiting for a call off him to see if he can get it fixed