Notices

Servicing help

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2014, 04:03 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Servicing help

As some of you may have seen my project thread my cars going having some work done on it in 2 weeks having new turbo,manifold, injectors, tmic, cone filter all fitted now as my car has hit 60k it's time for a new cambelt which will be fitted along with a full service now here is my problem I've been recommended to change the water and oil pump while the cambelt is being done but work have just laid off 6 people and it's not looking very good for the rest of us, so don't want to spend the extra for the oil and water pump when I could be made redundant in the following weeks so could I get away with not replacing the oil and water pump ?

Cheers Sam
Old 04 February 2014, 04:42 PM
CraigBWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water pump is driven by the cambelt so if it fails then it will do the same damage as if the cambelt had snapped.

If you wanted the water pump doing in the future then it will cost the same amount in labour to remove the cambelt to get at the waterpump.

Not sure on the oil pump tbh
Old 04 February 2014, 04:58 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get a gasket for the oil pump and whip it off and make sure the screws on the back are all tight and dob a bit of locktight on them at the very least, but thats just me, no doubt others will have their own thoughts.
Old 04 February 2014, 05:02 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it later when you have more money its easy to access, i didnt change mines each to their own
Old 04 February 2014, 07:18 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the model of car dictates how important the full service is, I was advised with my blob STI that its common practice to simply check the oil pump and tensioners/pulleys for wear and if they are fine simply change the belt, I was told water pumps are reliable on newage cars and didn't often require changing at 60k, obviously it would be best to change the lot if money grew on trees but it doesn't.

Mick
Old 04 February 2014, 07:34 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the replys the bloke who is doing it strongly recommends changing the oil pump so will more than likely change the oil pump and the cambelt