Notices

Making custom intake. Experts on MAF's and intakes please read.

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2014, 09:31 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Making custom intake. Experts on MAF's and intakes please read.

Good evening.

I would like to replace the intake pipe on my MY00 UK turbo. It currently has the stock plastic hard pipe. I was originally going to fit a silicone one but I have heard that the cheap ones are crap requiring a bit of chopping up to fit and can collapse due to vacuum. I also don't want to shell out a crazy £200 plus for a Samco or similar. I know Samco are good and I have other Samco bits, but that is just far too much for one pipe. I don't even need the various inlets as the car is VTA breathers, charcoal delete and SSQV to atmosphere.

The car is remaped with Ecutek.

I would like to knock up my own intake pipe made from either ABS plastic or ali pipe with silicon joiners at the ends. The plan is this will coast peanuts and do the job just as well as the stock pipe without blowing £120 on one of those.

The pipe will be the same length and roughly the same size as the OE pipe. But it will be smooth and not ribbed so volume will be slight higher and the air will run smoother. It will still join to the OE airbox which has the MAF attached. It will join via the OE ribbed pipe which goes from airbox to intake pipe.

The question?

Will changing the style of intake pipe to one without the ribs of the stock pipe have any negative effect? As i understand it the MAF has already measured the air so its path to the turbo doesn't matter too much as long as it doesn't change in volume after the MAF.

Any ideas?
Old 13 January 2014, 02:22 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you convert and run Mafless? May open up some more options!
I have a top mount turbo entry so doesn't give many ideas sorry!
Old 13 January 2014, 05:07 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
Can you convert and run Mafless? May open up some more options!
[/URL]
On this car the MAF will be kept as I don't want to spend £800 on ecu and mapping to bin the MAF.

My other scoob will be MAFless and that is the ideal solution.

On reading about how MAF's work I don't see how changing the pipe after the MAF will have any effect. If there is less resistance yes the more air will flow more easily but the MAF will read this and the ECU compensate which is the MAF's job after all. I think the only issues would be if too much air could go in exceeding the MAF's range. Also you need to be careful of vibrations so you don't shake the MAF too much.

Any other opinions welcome.