Notices

Car covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2014, 05:51 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car covers?

Hi. Is there anybody on here that uses a car cover when the car is parked outside because they don't have a garage?
The reason I'm asking is that I will be getting me car back from the bodyshop next week after a full respray, all window seals, roof seals etc been replaced, along with the sills being replaced and welded. So it's going to be mint when I get it back, the car is a v5 type r in 792 silver.
Soo, as I don't have a garage to store it I'm wondering if Thers any decent car covers that I can buy that are made for outside and won't scratch/damage the paint and is breathable so won't get damp? Any info will be great.
Old 12 January 2014, 07:34 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

Yep I use one for my p1. Got one from halfords but wish I had got the extra large size. £50 I think and very good. Straps are robust and it keeps the rain off.
Old 12 January 2014, 07:39 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi
Yep I use one for my p1. Got one from halfords but wish I had got the extra large size. £50 I think and very good. Straps are robust and it keeps the rain off.
Cheers for the reply. Is the large not big enough? How does it do against condensation? It's the material non scratch inside? Il have a look on the internet at them
Old 12 January 2014, 08:12 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Yes I keep one on mine but if I don't remove it when it's nice I found the car sits damp, inside was all condensated and I have spotted moisture under the paint, I only use mine as the boot leaks when it rains. I got decent one. It's fluffy inside and thripple layered, double seemed. No marks on the paint, just been the damp issue
Old 12 January 2014, 08:21 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Yes I keep one on mine but if I don't remove it when it's nice I found the car sits damp, inside was all condensated and I have spotted moisture under the paint, I only use mine as the boot leaks when it rains. I got decent one. It's fluffy inside and thripple layered, double seemed. No marks on the paint, just been the damp issue
Ahh. I'm in 2 minds now weather to get 1. As I don't want moisture under the paintwork after iv spent all that money on a full respray. And when do I remove it? I won't no when exactly it's going to be nice or not. And how long can it be kept under a cover for before u have to take it off for abit?
Old 12 January 2014, 08:29 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a halfords one on my Focus but only used it a few times as it was silver and made it look like a blimp had landed ! It kinda drew attention to it too , I'm sure the wrong people would be curious as to what was underneath , they'd be disappointed though , it was only a 1.4 Ford Focus !

It was fluffy on the inside and breathable , waterproof and supposedly kept it cool in the summer (probably the silver) and had good tie holes etc.
Old 12 January 2014, 08:41 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Is it worth getting one then? Will it protect the paint or damage it with condensation? I do t want the damp getting underneath the paint and bubbling. As for attracting attention people will no what's underneath and it's quite a quiet area where I live so I'm hoping it won't attract the wrong people.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2014, 09:47 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

I've not noticed any codensation and as the 1 is only used at weekends it's perfect. It's your decision at the end of the day
Old 14 January 2014, 09:59 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

I used one many years ago when i was banned from driving for a month lol.

Took the cover off and the paint was ****ed! It was summer time so must have been trapped condensation and it made the paint go all patchy. Also if you leave it on for long periods and there are loose flappy bits that blow in the wind, it will polish the paint off.

Also never trailer a car with a cover on!