Notices

Any Type R's suffer big end etc, failure

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 10:51 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just been thinking about the water spray on Type R's and have just had a thought about big end failures. Have any cars with water (which has been kept topped up) spray for the intercooler, suffered from big end failures?

Or even proportionately have more 4 doors suffered from this?

ian

(sorry if this has been covered in depth before)
Old 24 May 2002, 11:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

dont know specifically, but really think you are clutching at straws.

Water spray might if lucky reduce intake temps by 4 degrees. This is seriously unlikely to be a preventative measure.
Old 25 May 2002, 01:44 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Adam I would of thought that in a quest for answers you have to look under every stone!

I hear what you are saying about the minimal drop in intake temps, but reason would dictate that if something is going to go wrong it would be during or just after the point at which the engine was at its most extreme of operation. With high boost and high intake temperatures and possibly low oil temperature/pressure maybe it is having a cumulative effect which the waterspray stops from happening over time as it removes one of the variables?

Has anyone done any metalorigily (study of metals I hope that means) tests on failed parts to see what the metal is doing at the point of failure?
I did a search on Google which came up with a few sites which might be of interest in this area.

This first one talks about X-ray powder diffraction methods
http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/comm/ct...lets/16/16.pdf
and this one talks about metallic interfaces--also called grain boundaries.
Where it says that "Metals are composed of crystals, all of which may have a slightly different orientation with relation to the other crystals. This difference in orientation results in a defect, which greatly influences the strength or weakness of the metal as well as speed with which impurities can diffuse through the metal."
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Pubs/ac...AtomicSim.html

Sorry if this is not new to you, I'm not trying to teach anyone to "suck eggs" or pretend to understand what is being talked about on these other sites, Just thought that I would add my thoughts about what might be wrong

Regards ian