Fitting AVCS heads to blob WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2014, 06:18 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting AVCS heads to blob WRX

Hi All,

I have a 2003 blob WRX with an Alkatec ECU and STI inlet manifold (and other bits) fitted.

I've come across a dirt cheap set of AVCS heads, from a very reputable scoobynet member and friend.

The heads come with all pulleys, covers and STI wiring loom.

My question is, could a good mechanic swap the heads for me, or would it be worth spending the money and getting a well known tuner to do it?

Is it quite straight forward, or is it complicated enough to warrant the cost of well known tuner?

As always, cheers for sharing opinions, experience and knowledge
Old 03 January 2014, 08:23 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if hes a decent mechanic it wont be a problem as long as you change the sti wireing loom,if I was doing the job I would use multi layer head gaskets and apr head studs but the best way to do that job I would pull the engine out.plus you will have to use the sti ecu too...
Old 03 January 2014, 08:37 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using the STi inlet you should be able to use the WRX loom and incorporate the TGV part of the loom for the AVCS as the STi does`nt use this due to the TGV deletes and its already wired to the ecu so just a matter of re-pinning a few pins on the loom at the ecu end....You would also need a mini loom making up with an additional 4 or 5 wires which also need to go to the ecu to make it fully functioning, The Alcatec ECU you have is a newage model so it should be able to cope with the avcs...It would still need looking at via a laptop once up and running so a tuner would be my choice...One who has done it before really

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 03 January 2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04 January 2014, 02:36 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Resh

What is condition of the heads,do they need be skimmed or do they are in good condition?

Personally I would take at least heads to reputable tuner/engine builder for inspection and get them at leas check'd

If they're OK then I would leave this work on yours mechanic and he should be able to replace them and I would use only Subaru MLS Headgasket or Cosworth HG,don't use Cometic HG plus you will need new timing belt/cambelt kit,if its budget I would go with Gates Kevlar

As above Gaz said,you will need get engine loom,mainly for AVCS,breakers usually charge £50 for this part

Jura