Notices

Modified Oil Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2013, 01:21 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Oil Pumps

Seems to be a few tuners offering modified oil pumps for the pressure relief valve.

I had an RCM standard modified pump on my last engine and it spun a shell so I'm wondering whether or not to go for one again. The RCM ones seem to be WAY more expensive than other tuners offerings.

Are they all much the same using a Subaru standard oil pump and modify the relief valve? Why is there such a difference in price? Name??
Old 25 November 2013, 01:30 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

the main difference we have found is that some tuners simply polish the relief valve (which can and does cause its own issues) whereas the RCM ones (presuming 10mm) have a properly modified pump with a new design valve

its unlikely the oil pump had any bearing on your previous engine problems

we have a very good relationship with RCM and can offer favourable pricing if required
Old 25 November 2013, 04:23 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a modified pump fitted at API some yrs back, still on the car now, i think they modify the valve not polish it etc and i noticed 1/5 bar increase in oil pressure after fitment, worth asking them
Old 25 November 2013, 04:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

What's wrong with the polished versions? I have an advanced automotive modded 11 mm pump
Old 25 November 2013, 07:32 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
the main difference we have found is that some tuners simply polish the relief valve (which can and does cause its own issues) whereas the RCM ones (presuming 10mm) have a properly modified pump with a new design valve

its unlikely the oil pump had any bearing on your previous engine problems

we have a very good relationship with RCM and can offer favourable pricing if required
The RCM one is £80 more expensive for a 10mm one than say an advanced automotive version but worth it you think. I don't think it was to blame with my failure either but it didn't work a miracle either.

I'll add it to the other parts Alyn and see what price you can do on one.
Old 26 November 2013, 10:01 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We re-engineer the pumps in the same way Cosworth do. We have been doing it 10 years, they have for maybe 5. So we reckon they copied us.........

We strip the pump and micro polish all the galleries to remove flash and swarf. A bit of flash from a poor casting comes off and jams the relief valve, what happens next .??

We polish the valve itself to a finish that you see your face in and smooth the gallery that it runs in.

Once that is done we run the pump up on a rig and set the oil pressure to a figure that we are happy with [ cold obviously ]

We also change the Phillips headed screws that hold the pump together for proper Allen screws. And paint it a natty crackle finish so that it can be identified once on the car.

That is a hand built pump. Many others just stick an altered profile relief valve in and that constitutes a " modified pump ". Cosworth use the original valve, polished like ours.

We do them on an exchange basis and any that come in with gear damage or housing damage get binned. When we run low on pumps we buy core in the market place and start again.

Never let us down yet.

£125.00 + VAT Exchange.

David APi 01926 614333

Last edited by APIDavid; 26 November 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 26 November 2013, 10:25 AM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Cheers for this info David.

I have my old RCM pump, would I get this back once it had been overhauled or just another exchange one as I believe the valve is different on their ones?

I actually have 3 pumps just now that I could use. Are the gears all sized or just visually checked?

Thanks
Old 26 November 2013, 10:33 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobP1
Cheers for this info David.

I have my old RCM pump, would I get this back once it had been overhauled or just another exchange one as I believe the valve is different on their ones?

I actually have 3 pumps just now that I could use. Are the gears all sized or just visually checked?

Thanks
Every part is examined and measured, There are no dimensions available from Subaru to check, so it is a case of an engineers decision about clearances and wear based on years of experience. Plus of course damage.

We often do a bespoke build on a customers own pump. We've just done two owners pumps for a customer in Lithuania. Turn them around as fast as we can. the post to & from is expensive and slow but he wants and promotes our products over here.

So you can send your original RCM version and we'll turn it into a proper pump for you It will have a different valve in it which we are happy to refit for you if that is what you want.

If the other pumps might be any good send them and we have choices to work with if there is a problem. and and you can have back whatever you want or trade them in against your bill.

David

Last edited by APIDavid; 26 November 2013 at 10:34 AM.