Notices

2001 JDM STi Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2013, 04:49 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2001 JDM STi Performance Upgrades

Looking for some guidance having read a few posts on this engine.

The standard 2001 'Bug eye' JDM I understand has a stronger bottom end and more free flowing heads along with the single scroll VF30 turbo.

A car I've taken on has been 'remapped' but going to re-assess and perform some further mods..

The car has 60k combined Jap/UK miles with all history supporting it both sides (bonus) and will be subject to the blob front end swap etc (can't live with the bug sorry...)

I need to know what is realisitc in terms of upgrades and what to expect, it pulls from 2900k and by 3500 really strong all the way up to 7500

Seemingly the 6 Speed JDM box has shorter ratio also which feels VERY quick arguably quickly that the 402bhp classic I had a few years ago.. so very impressed so far.

Upgrade path for the moment will be to sort the handling (coilovers not doing it for me..), replace bushes, drop links etc and start working on the power..

Questions...

1) What are the standard injectors on this car and what is their peak duty / power handling?

2) The VF30 turbo, what boost can I run (no boost gauge installed as yet) and would I benefit from upgrading to fully realise the potential of the engine (without any rebuild/rods/pistons etc)?

3) JDM 6 speed box, transmission transfer box and rear diff are all up to the job - what is the point they become stressed (too far?)

4) Can the standard JDM ECU be re-mapped and if it can who in Scotland can take this on for me?

Cheers
Old 07 November 2013, 05:07 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
Looking for some guidance having read a few posts on this engine.

The standard 2001 'Bug eye' JDM I understand has a stronger bottom end and more free flowing heads along with the single scroll VF30 turbo.

A car I've taken on has been 'remapped' but going to re-assess and perform some further mods..

The car has 60k combined Jap/UK miles with all history supporting it both sides (bonus) and will be subject to the blob front end swap etc (can't live with the bug sorry...)

I need to know what is realisitc in terms of upgrades and what to expect, it pulls from 2900k and by 3500 really strong all the way up to 7500

Seemingly the 6 Speed JDM box has shorter ratio also which feels VERY quick arguably quickly that the 402bhp classic I had a few years ago.. so very impressed so far.

Upgrade path for the moment will be to sort the handling (coilovers not doing it for me..), replace bushes, drop links etc and start working on the power..

Questions...

1) What are the standard injectors on this car and what is their peak duty / power handling?

2) The VF30 turbo, what boost can I run (no boost gauge installed as yet) and would I benefit from upgrading to fully realise the potential of the engine (without any rebuild/rods/pistons etc)?

3) JDM 6 speed box, transmission transfer box and rear diff are all up to the job - what is the point they become stressed (too far?)

4) Can the standard JDM ECU be re-mapped and if it can who in Scotland can take this on for me?

Cheers
The 6sp box will be fine up and above 500hp mate (well I say fine, it will work, but will be requiring a rebuild at some point above 500)

Dont know about the rest though
Old 10 November 2013, 03:47 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

JDM STi are usually better(in most cases) like UK counterparts

Here are answers on yours questions:

1) You have as standard fitted 550cc Pink Injectors,which should handle up to 360-380bhp,this depends on fuel pressure

2) 1.4-1.5bar should be no problem,with this boost you should be making around 330-340bhp,yours engine should be OK for 450-500bhp,some guys has run on them 500bhp without the issue

3) 6 speed is strong,but how strong,some people broke 6 speed at low 400bhp,some still running them at high 600bhp without the issue

4) Yes yours ECU can be mapped like via Open Source or EcuTek,depends on budget,but both will give you same or similar results,all this depends on mapper and not software which is used.I would speak with Andy F about the mapping or speak over here with Simon@JGM,Simon usually travel to Scotland and many other too like Duncan@Race Dynamix

Jura
Old 10 November 2013, 05:00 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also instead going normal OS map go for Carberry or EcuTek racerom gives you lots of nice features to play with .... JGM, Andy F , Rich@FB will be able to do it soon too, also Francis@RomPerfomance and Dynamix gets my vote ....Most of them can travel these days anyway.. Andy Carr , Bob Rawle , Paul@Zen Pat@ScoobyClinic only if you can get hold of them, are top mappers too...

Also whith such low mileage car i wouldn't waste time and would chuck the fastest spooling turbo capable of 400-450... That would make the car feel as agile as a classic...
Old 10 November 2013, 10:37 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jura11

3) 6 speed is strong,but how strong,some people broke 6 speed at low 400bhp,some still running them at high 600bhp without the issue
Still run the std 6 speed in mine at over 800 bhp

To the OP:

Lots of options on mapping. Andy F is obviously most local to scotland but I get up there every 8 weeks or so as I believe Simon does too. I am up next in mid december (snow permitting lol) and map on either road or dyno up there.

You can see high 300's on the std injectors but they will cope with everything the VF30 can provide. The VF30 is an underrated turbo but does make for a great road car. Dont chase power figures tbh - the driveability is what you should be after.

Worth checking on yours is the condition of the neutral position switch as this can have a detrimental affect on the driveability / spool.
Old 11 November 2013, 07:03 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Also instead going normal OS map go for Carberry or EcuTek racerom gives you lots of nice features to play with .... JGM, Andy F , Rich@FB will be able to do it soon too, also Francis@RomPerfomance and Dynamix gets my vote ....Most of them can travel these days anyway.. Andy Carr , Bob Rawle , Paul@Zen Pat@ScoobyClinic only if you can get hold of them, are top mappers too...

Also whith such low mileage car i wouldn't waste time and would chuck the fastest spooling turbo capable of 400-450... That would make the car feel as agile as a classic...

which turbo would that be? SC46?
Old 11 November 2013, 07:54 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex_00s
which turbo would that be? SC46?
I would choose SC42 or MDX321T without any questions and doubts

Jura
Old 11 November 2013, 11:59 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

JDM STi are usually better(in most cases) like UK counterparts

Here are answers on yours questions:

1) You have as standard fitted 550cc Pink Injectors,which should handle up to 360-380bhp,this depends on fuel pressure

2) 1.4-1.5bar should be no problem,with this boost you should be making around 330-340bhp,yours engine should be OK for 450-500bhp,some guys has run on them 500bhp without the issue

4) Yes yours ECU can be mapped like via Open Source or EcuTek,depends on budget,but both will give you same or similar results,all this depends on mapper and not software which is used.I would speak with Andy F about the mapping or speak over here with Simon@JGM,Simon usually travel to Scotland and many other too like Duncan@Race Dynamix

Jura
Thanks no word from Andy yet! Any idea if he has a different mobile? ( couple of years ago I have same number!)
Old 12 November 2013, 12:02 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Still run the std 6 speed in mine at over 800 bhp

To the OP:

Lots of options on mapping. Andy F is obviously most local to scotland but I get up there every 8 weeks or so as I believe Simon does too. I am up next in mid december (snow permitting lol) and map on either road or dyno up there.

You can see high 300's on the std injectors but they will cope with everything the VF30 can provide. The VF30 is an underrated turbo but does make for a great road car. Dont chase power figures tbh - the driveability is what you should be after.

Worth checking on yours is the condition of the neutral position switch as this can have a detrimental affect on the driveability / spool.
Nice one want a map in Dec and get a wideband and boost gauge installed over e coming weeks ... Blob conversion being fitted too ( sorry bug owners!)