engine rebuild :( ideas please peoples

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2013, 04:57 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild :( ideas please peoples

So it has come to this,

As you probably saw in my last post about car not starting, I was given good advice by members as to what it is and as it turns out I DOOOO need an engine

So, one was thinking about a 2.5 bottom end and I have found some v4 heads for a good price.

If you had a 93 classic wrx import that you had spent most of your mortguage money on (hope my wife doesn't see this ) in good clean condition, what sort of engine and turbo set up would you go for?

Im in the midst of buying a 6 speed conversion and am looking to run a reliable 300 bhp.

Opinions please as all the advice on here is golden and you are all legends for your help. I will in turn post a picture of me in the bath in the muppet section.

Thanks in advance and pleasant hooters

tom xxxx
Old 06 November 2013, 05:04 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

One you can afford.SJ.
Old 06 November 2013, 05:08 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all comes down to how much money you want to spend? 1k or 30k its all possible...
Old 06 November 2013, 05:11 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

SC36 on a 2.5 would be a giggle.

Sounds like your in a perfect place (aiming at 300's) to build for reliability and drivability rather than pub numbers.
Old 06 November 2013, 05:11 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Nearly at the end of my build with engine tuner just at over 22k
Old 06 November 2013, 05:12 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

why only 300bhp? if thats all you want then just buy a decent bottom end from an sti 8 and bolt your heads to that
Old 06 November 2013, 05:13 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
why only 300bhp? if thats all you want then just buy a decent bottom end from an sti 8 and bolt your heads to that
+1.SJ.
Old 06 November 2013, 05:39 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

Look lads I have just asked for a bit of advice,

im not a millionaire but this car holds serious sentimental value to me as it was my late fathers and he has had it since the importation in 2004.

I want to run a reliable 300 - no higher but lower is ok. The car is a daily driver and and yes I will open it up now and then but I will look after it big time and its part of the family.

Im not after silly figures at all but I don't understand the sarcasm, I thought this forum was for like minded enthusiasts. I don't want to upset anyone but if nobody wants to give advice or at least a non biased opinion then don't bother. I am doing this in honour of my late father who I know had a huge interest in the classic impreza. He also had another one which I am breaking and literally giving parts away to people for the price of postage so please, I only want to know what I am best off doing for my level of power.

stonejedi, please cut the sarcasm I joined here and paid my dues as a member because I didn't want to take to mick asking free advice, im serious about this build. but thanks for making me feel small.
Old 06 November 2013, 05:49 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the big question is are you doing it yourself. or paying someone to do it, ? if it's the first option, go for a good low milage version 8sti bottom end and version 3 heads, and a vf35 turbo will see 300 all day long without spending silly money, start going down the forged route and it's more of a question of how deep are your pockets
Old 06 November 2013, 05:59 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

My advice would be to call David O'Brian at API and have a chat with him about it.
I am sure he would be happy to help you out.
300 BHP makes sense to me.
The problem with chasing horsepower is that you can never have enough - and the more you get, the more you compromise yourself.
A bit like money really.
Old 06 November 2013, 06:04 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

PM'd !
Old 06 November 2013, 06:12 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tomk86
Look lads I have just asked for a bit of advice,

im not a millionaire but this car holds serious sentimental value to me as it was my late fathers and he has had it since the importation in 2004.

I want to run a reliable 300 - no higher but lower is ok. The car is a daily driver and and yes I will open it up now and then but I will look after it big time and its part of the family.

Im not after silly figures at all but I don't understand the sarcasm, I thought this forum was for like minded enthusiasts. I don't want to upset anyone but if nobody wants to give advice or at least a non biased opinion then don't bother. I am doing this in honour of my late father who I know had a huge interest in the classic impreza. He also had another one which I am breaking and literally giving parts away to people for the price of postage so please, I only want to know what I am best off doing for my level of power.

stonejedi, please cut the sarcasm I joined here and paid my dues as a member because I didn't want to take to mick asking free advice, im serious about this build. but thanks for making me feel small.
i think you need to chill out and wind your neck in mate.stonejedi made a very sensible comment albeit in not much detail but still if you calm down and think about it that should be the 1st thing to consider.

no point starting a build to then realise that you cant afford to finish it.

my advice would be the cheapest most reliable option as the newage bottom ends can take 450bhp without fuss or even drop a full long engine in complete with avcs heads.

i also see no need to go 6 speed @ 300bhp,my 5 speed came from a classic running 380bhp and is fine

nobody is trying to make you feel small

just seems pointless making a car capable of high bhp when all you want is 300 bhp
Old 06 November 2013, 06:13 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

In which way do you feel I was being sarcastic?the question that you asked,has not got a straight forward answer,when it comes to rebuilds,how much money you have to spend is always the biggest part of any rebuild as parts,labour cost,quality brand of parts used etc....comes into play.You said you want around 300 bhp that's why I agreed with the post about fitting a STI bottom end as a STI bottom end can make good reliable power over 300 bhp with ease.If I have made you feel small that was not my intention.SJ.
Old 06 November 2013, 06:17 PM
ATWRX
Scooby Regular

Tom, first thing, I don't think you should be taking this to heart, StoneJedi wasn't being sarcastic or trying to make you feel small, he's got a very good point, build what you can afford, you could end up spending 10's of thousands on a build if you so desired.

You're only searching for 300bhp, and STi V8 engine would be perfect for what you require, they've semi forged internals, good for 450bhp, then a VF35 Turbo, you'll get a reliable 300bhp, easily with good drive-ability.

If you are wanting to forge the engine, you could of course go down that rout, but it may end up costing a lot of money.

YHPM
Old 06 November 2013, 06:37 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

but honestly to theshreksta and to stonejedi,

Im sorry if I came across as being a bit moody which I didn't mean to be, but both of your second posts are excellent advice and noted I just found the first ones if im honest to kind of put me in the same category as so many people that join promising to build a 4000 bhp impreza lol.

I really don't want anyone to fall out with me, like I said I really value your experience, you guys have literally helped a lot of people build their cars.

I really thank you all for your advice it means the world. I think a good hard ebay search plus a lot of selling of parts on here and I may aswell go for the sti8 engine.

Like I said, there is a bog standard turbo 2000 breaking I know my dad wanted stuff going to use so if anyone wants stuff pm me I only want postage covering. Few bits gone but most car still there
Old 06 November 2013, 06:40 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

avoid ebay..........

try an buy a bottom end from one of the trusted breakers

matty5br@mbdevelopments springs to mind
Old 06 November 2013, 06:40 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

pockets are shallow to be honest but if it makes my old man proud god bless him then ill do what it takes
Old 06 November 2013, 06:42 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
avoid ebay..........

try an buy a bottom end from one of the trusted breakers

matty5br@mbdevelopments springs to mind
ok ill email him to be honest im a bit sceptical of ebay due to the 4 door 22b p1 advertised etc
Old 06 November 2013, 06:43 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

he might not have just a bottom end so you might have to buy a long engine and sell on the avcs heads which shouldnt be a problem
Old 06 November 2013, 06:44 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

As said above you could buy a late classoc sti lump (v5ish) amd see your target figure.

My STANDARD lump made 303.9 at 1.4 bar with only a cat back exhaust
Old 06 November 2013, 07:22 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

wow thanks guys think I have been setting my sights too high, I didn't realise the stis were partially forged... learning every day

thanks everyone
Old 07 November 2013, 09:44 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow thanks guys think I have been setting my sights too high, I didn't realise the stis were partially forged... learning every day

thanks everyone
Give me a call for a sensible, non sarcastic affordable conversation. We are close to being on your doorstep and will be highly recommended by almost anyone on here.

Cheers, good luck no matter what. David APi 01926 614333
Old 07 November 2013, 10:51 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I was going to say sell it and get another one until I read the bit about your dad, so that option is out of the question.

The cheapest / easiest way to do it is as above get another engine, for your requirements you don't need to go mental any engine will be fine around 300bhp whether it be WRX or STI, many people go for the overkill option under the guise of future proofing, but to be honest if it's just a daily and your not ragging the tit's off it everywhere or taking it on track a WRX engine will be perfectly fine, plenty on here running well in excess of 300bhp, you'll also not need a 6 speed conversion either, i'd suggest you drive a car with a 6 speed too to see if you like it or not before you go down that route.

As David (API) is on your doorstep i'd have a chat with him, discuss your budget and make a decision based on what he says, no point spending a fortune on it if your not after big power, you'll not go wrong with David.