Notices

Small problem (i hope ;) )

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2013, 01:48 PM
topperscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small problem (i hope ;) )

Hi guys, just washed the engine bay with some engine bay cleaner, and hosed it all down with a non pressure hose pipe. Now here's the problem, When I started the car to take it further down my drive so I could pressure wash the outside, it spluttered a little bit, so I took it up the road and back and when I was pulling away the rev's weren't as smooth as they should and coughed a little bit, when hitting the boost the car hesitated for a moment (didn't backfire or pop) and then went on like normal, when I was turning around I noticed the "check engine" light was on, so coming back around down the road I gave her a little blip and the light went out and pulled normally. So I get the car back and have a look under the bonnet, and it seems the idle speed is increasing and decreasing quite a bit (engine light back on). When I give the throttle a little blip the "check engine" light goes out and idle's fine for 30 seconds, then back to the "up and down" idle rev's (with engine light back on lol)

My ideas were I may have forced some water on a electric sensor, I rang up my local Scooby garage and he says it seems a bit coincidental it only started AFTER the engine bay was cleaned as was running sweet before, so there going to plug the car in and see what it comes up with

So just thought you guys may of had a similar problem in the past and could shed some light
Old 29 October 2013, 03:35 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a similar problem on another car after washing the engine bay. In this particular case, I had managed to get water into the distributor cap which was causing it. However, I don't think the scoob has a distributor, does it? It does sound 'spark' related to me though, so I would begin by looking at the HT leads and the coil packs to see if there is water ingress in any of them.

Ben.