Notices

Cost effective forged build

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2013, 01:52 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cost effective forged build

Looking to forge my v3 Type R, more for reliability than high power figures.

Just wondering whats the most cost effective way of doing it? Whether it be forging the current v3 STI block and retaining the v3 heads or looking at swapping it out for a v8/9 STI engine with AVCS heads? Although I understand i'd also require the ECU and loom from the v8/9?

Dont plan to exceed 400bhp... probs closer to 370-380bhp with a TD05 20G.

Any other options considered aswell.

Cheers
Old 22 October 2013, 07:34 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you're cheapest option is getting a sti8 short motor and bolting you're heads on it,
It Will be a reliable motor at 400hp and quick at that. I had the same setup you are planning but be prepared for the cost of supporting mods,gearbox etc if you haven't already got them
Hope this helps
Zak

Last edited by zakscooby1; 22 October 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 22 October 2013, 07:38 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by RoyPinhey; 22 October 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 22 October 2013, 08:07 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ran 402 for 2 years v3 engine and box sweet as now upgrading slap a 20g on it as it is mate.
Old 22 October 2013, 08:44 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakscooby1
IMO you're cheapest option is getting a sti8 short motor and bolting you're heads on it,
It Will be a reliable motor at 400hp and quick at that. I had the same setup you are planning but be prepared for the cost of supporting mods,gearbox etc if you haven't already got them
Hope this helps
Zak
Whats involved in matching v3 STI heads to a v8 STI block? Any machining required?
Old 22 October 2013, 08:47 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
I ran 402 for 2 years v3 engine and box sweet as now upgrading slap a 20g on it as it is mate.
I've had two STIs now, both of their internals let go at around 320bhp... I appreciate some may survive but i'm after peace of mind really
Old 22 October 2013, 08:54 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Whats involved in matching v3 STI heads to a v8 STI block? Any machining required?
I sent heads off to my local engineer to have them pressure tested and I'm sure they were refaced,apart from this I got genuine Subaru MLS gaskets and was running around 400 for a little while before going forged which I'm currently in process of getting finished off for around 500-550hp

I think alot of people agree that sti8 bottom end will be the most cost effective and reliable route for a classic without spending mega bucks compared to a fully forged motor
Zak
Old 22 October 2013, 09:32 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Looking to forge my v3 Type R, more for reliability than high power figures.

Just wondering whats the most cost effective way of doing it? Whether it be forging the current v3 STI block and retaining the v3 heads or looking at swapping it out for a v8/9 STI engine with AVCS heads? Although I understand i'd also require the ECU and loom from the v8/9?

Dont plan to exceed 400bhp... probs closer to 370-380bhp with a TD05 20G.

Any other options considered aswell.

Cheers
If you don't suffer from "mission creep" 400 bhp is a doddle from an open deck V3 block if it's built properly. You shouldn't have any particular difficulty hitting the numbers.
If you have the V3 block built of course you have the option of a 2.1, which improves the 20G no end.
We've supplied plenty of strokers based around this sort of brief, supplying full engines and built short blocks.
Second hand is of course second hand.
Do it once, do it right?
Old 23 October 2013, 10:58 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
If you don't suffer from "mission creep" 400 bhp is a doddle from an open deck V3 block if it's built properly. You shouldn't have any particular difficulty hitting the numbers.
If you have the V3 block built of course you have the option of a 2.1, which improves the 20G no end.
We've supplied plenty of strokers based around this sort of brief, supplying full engines and built short blocks.
Second hand is of course second hand.
Do it once, do it right?
Hi Alan

Yea i've been mulling over the 2.1 option since our PM's back and forth... but have more or less come to the conclusion that it may be alittle overkill for my needs, plus outside of my budget.

As i've said, i'm not chasing BHP numbers (although I wont deny it would be nice to be at the opposite end of the 300bhp scale) ... reliability and peace of mind are key so I can atleast enjoy the car without having to listen to every noise. Therefore I am leaning towards a version 8 STI block, there seems to be many that run reasonably high power figures quite happily, and the amount that I use the car, it may be the best option i've came across so far.
Old 23 October 2013, 09:28 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Hi Alan

Yea i've been mulling over the 2.1 option since our PM's back and forth... but have more or less come to the conclusion that it may be alittle overkill for my needs, plus outside of my budget.

As i've said, i'm not chasing BHP numbers (although I wont deny it would be nice to be at the opposite end of the 300bhp scale) ... reliability and peace of mind are key so I can atleast enjoy the car without having to listen to every noise. Therefore I am leaning towards a version 8 STI block, there seems to be many that run reasonably high power figures quite happily, and the amount that I use the car, it may be the best option i've came across so far.
In which case, give me a call, I have a customer's JDM 2.0 Hawkeye short block sat there waiting for somebody to buy it.
01752 345880 business hours.
Old 24 October 2013, 06:37 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan

they all say that.....me included.

My forged hawk rolled out of enginetuner in august, was mapped to 350bhp over a week ago. If your intentions are to use enginetuner, you wont be disapointed.