Notices

What trackday tyres and general prep info..

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2013, 10:48 AM
Legacyb4-Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What trackday tyres and general prep info..

I signed myself up for a local trackday over here in mid October im just starting to get the car ready now for it. Couple of items need changing at the minute so im thinking what to go for

Pads: I currently have some AP 4 pots and 2 piece discs with bluestuff NDX fitted with about half their life left, i was thinking same again or these CL RC5+ ive been hearing about

Tires: To save my daily driver tires i was thinking of getting either a part worn trackday set or new for my spare 17's. What would be a good tyre to look out for? is there a tyre that is good in both wet and dry on track?

Oil: Currently on millers cfs 10w40, i need an oil change so was going to change to a 10w60, is that a safe grade to run on track or should i look at something else?

Anything else to consider/check before i rag it out on track, i have only done one track day previous to this and that didnt end too well!

Cheers

Dan

Last edited by Legacyb4-Dan; 27 September 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 27 September 2013, 10:57 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Tyres ..... AD08s are amazing and wear well.

Dont run less than half a tank of fuel to safeguard against fuel surge, and id reconmend an oil control plate in the sump to help with oil surge.

Pads, performance friction z rated are good, not sure if theyre available for the AP's. Ive heard good things about the bluestuff NDX but never tried them.

As for oil, speak to the guys at opie ..... all depends on the state of tune and temps your running. standard car your probably best off with the 10w40. Im up at 440/440 and use millers CFS10w50.

speaking of temps, dont sit in the pits idling for ages, getting heat soak into everything in the engine bay (top mount), then go hell for leather straight away. The top mount wont work when its fully heat soaked so do a lap to push some air through things to get back to normal temps. Same with cooling down laps, once your session is over or your coming in, do at least one very light braking lap to let things settle, otherwise youll contaminate the brakes.
Old 27 September 2013, 11:10 AM
Legacyb4-Dan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Tyres ..... AD08s are amazing and wear well.

Dont run less than half a tank of fuel to safeguard against fuel surge, and id reconmend an oil control plate in the sump to help with oil surge.

Pads, performance friction z rated are good, not sure if theyre available for the AP's. Ive heard good things about the bluestuff NDX but never tried them.

As for oil, speak to the guys at opie ..... all depends on the state of tune and temps your running. standard car your probably best off with the 10w40. Im up at 440/440 and use millers CFS10w50.

speaking of temps, dont sit in the pits idling for ages, getting heat soak into everything in the engine bay (top mount), then go hell for leather straight away. The top mount wont work when its fully heat soaked so do a lap to push some air through things to get back to normal temps. Same with cooling down laps, once your session is over or your coming in, do at least one very light braking lap to let things settle, otherwise youll contaminate the brakes.
Thanks for the info, ive heard the twinscroll sump does a fairly good job at preventing oil surge so i was going to add a baffled plate during my rebuild but i was told there wasnt that much need for one.

Are the PF Z good for daily driving too? as ill try get a pad thats good fast road that can keep you one the track too!

As for oil my mapper did suggest a 10w50 but i couldnt get it locally one the 10w60, i stupidly bought some millers 10w40 this week before i decided to do this track day hopefully i can exchange that. I am now on a vf36 setup with a front mount so hopefully that will help with heatsoak issues. Whats the max temps you want to see from your oil on a track before its time to come back in? I can set my oil temp gauge to alert at a certain temp so you know what temps your at.
Old 27 September 2013, 11:33 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Everyone has a different view on temps, but i personally dont like the oil going above 105 and the waer above 100.

The PFZ's are a great road pad! Nice bite from cold so good and usable, and you can properly lean on them on the track.

wether you need 40, 50 or 60 depends on what temperature your getting the oil too. I would say if yours is a standardish tune engine, and the millers is CFS, you should be fine with the 40 .... but id really want to hear that from the guys at opie oils.

Front mount will definately help, but theres still a lot of heatsoak envolved in FMIC pipework. I have a front mount too and sitting waiting to go out at combe on saturday saw inlet charge temps of 55degrees ..... wasnt till after the first corner that it settled down to normal. Just bear it in mind as gunning it out of the pits is always tempting but i think should be avoided! part of the reason i dont partake in drag strips! lots of queuing and heat soaking, straight into 12 seconds of max attack ..... cant be healthy!
Old 27 September 2013, 11:44 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front mount will definately help, but theres still a lot of heatsoak envolved in FMIC pipework. I have a front mount too and sitting waiting to go out at combe on saturday saw inlet charge temps of 55degrees ..... wasnt till after the first corner that it settled down to normal. Just bear it in mind as gunning it out of the pits is always tempting but i think should be avoided! part of the reason i dont partake in drag strips! lots of queuing and heat soaking, straight into 12 seconds of max attack ..... cant be healthy!
Dont leave it running while queuing then? I always push mine to keep the temps at a sensible rate with the bonnet open
Old 27 September 2013, 12:22 PM
Legacyb4-Dan
Scooby Regular

Everyone has a different view on temps, but i personally dont like the oil going above 105 and the waer above 100.

The PFZ's are a great road pad! Nice bite from cold so good and usable, and you can properly lean on them on the track.

wether you need 40, 50 or 60 depends on what temperature your getting the oil too. I would say if yours is a standardish tune engine, and the millers is CFS, you should be fine with the 40 .... but id really want to hear that from the guys at opie oils.

Ill see can i find the PF Z for my calipers. AS for oil temps, i think i see about 105-110 when the engine is at normal operating temp, ill have to check the set points on my gauge so i know. was thinking if you see anything around 125 its time to hit the pits to cool down, Im not one for gunning it from standstill if the car has been idling for a while i have seen how the pipes can heatsoak quickly too but im sure after a lap or two the fmic cooling will be spot on. im only running 330/340 should still be good fun, close to 40 cars signed up already so i can see it getting busy out there! Ill get onto Opie oils and see what they suggest. based on temps i have seen so far. even if its just a thicker oil for the track day and i can change back to the normal stuff for daily use.