Notices

impreza diesel home service

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2013, 04:02 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impreza diesel home service

I have decided not to pay the £400+ that Subaru dealerships want for the 48k mile service!!!!!!1
Is there anyone out there can give some advice, starting with fuel filter location and how easy/difficult it is to replace.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16 September 2013, 04:26 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be cheaper up the road at Stan palmers at Carlisle
Rob will sort you out
I have used them for my Wrxd since I got it off them
Old 16 September 2013, 04:42 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your response but all filters & oils aquired now, off work this week so determined to have a bash myself if poss.
Old 16 September 2013, 07:52 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by btalbot1
I have decided not to pay the £400+ that Subaru dealerships want for the 48k mile service!!!!!!1
Is there anyone out there can give some advice, starting with fuel filter location and how easy/difficult it is to replace.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fuel filter location is on the passenger side next to the strut tower infront of the bulk head.

You have to unplug both sensing wires and unclip them from the bracket.
unbolt the filter housing bolts 12mm heads
to make it easier you may take the nuts off the retaining bracket to get the water trap sensor wire out as it can be a pain to refit, once out it lifts up and out ontop of the engine with the supply pipes still fitted.

Next prepare for a fight as this b*stards are tight, you need to get a filter wrench on the filter and support the filter head at the same time.

once off, swap the water trap sensor over to the new filter using the supplied o-ring seal. Light bit of oil on the top seal and refit to the filter head, reassemble in reverse order of removal.

using the primer on the top, keep pumping until its rock hard, no need to open any bleed screws, Go and start the car If it stops prime it again Job done.

the oil sump plug is a 12mm hex key fitting, no need to remove any under guards, the diesel has a specific cut out for this. whilst this is draining remove the oil filter from the top, it allows the oil oil to drain back down to the sump.

you must next do the important OIL COUNT RESET PROCEDURE, if you don't you will throw a check light, this is listed in the handbook.
Old 16 September 2013, 07:53 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Be cheaper up the road at Stan palmers at Carlisle
Rob will sort you out
I have used them for my Wrxd since I got it off them
Indeed we always do a deal
Old 16 September 2013, 11:23 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Rob,
Your'e a lifesaver! I'll have a go at and report back
Old 16 September 2013, 11:34 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Rob,
I have just read the manual and it says that this oil re-count will affect the particulate filter warning light and needs a special tool to reset, is this where Stan Palmers fit into the equation?

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2013, 10:31 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Usually as a rule it's a dealer reset only. But there is a guide maybe only published in the later model year handbook. I'll look in one of our cars here and report back for you on how to do it as I can't remember off hand
Old 19 September 2013, 08:19 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your invaluable help, I've changed the fuel filter today and you were right it was really, really tight!!!!
It's done now and all is good. I wonder if you were able to get the info about the oil change re-count? I will be doing the oil & filter in the morning, will the particulate warning light stop the car running, or will it just come on until I get the reset done?
Old 20 September 2013, 02:10 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Try the following sequence.

Depress brake pedal
Start engine and keep idling
Release clutch pedal
With brake pedal still depressed. Perform the following

Push on rear window demister to on
turn headlamps to sidelight position
Push off rear window demister to off
Turn headlamps to off
Repeat the above steps once
Then release the brake pedal

Engine preheat symbol will blink for 5 seconds when complete
Old 20 September 2013, 09:08 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Hi Rob,
I have tried the sequence you suggested but didn't see anything happen, after saying that I have NO lights displayed since I changed the oil. Everything looks ok! Should the particulate filter warning light have come on?
Last question, I promise I'll leave you alone after this one!!
Do you happen to know the size of the torx/star bit that I'll need to get the gearbox drain plug out (it looks quite big) ooh apologies, heres another question, does the front diff share the gearbox oil or is there a seperate drain/filler for that?
My parents live up at Newton Stewart and I am going up there at half term (end of October) so please let me know your preferred booze and I'll drop you some off on my way up, I am serious! It's the least I can do
Old 20 September 2013, 10:10 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by btalbot1
Hi Rob,
I have tried the sequence you suggested but didn't see anything happen, after saying that I have NO lights displayed since I changed the oil. Everything looks ok! Should the particulate filter warning light have come on?
Last question, I promise I'll leave you alone after this one!!
Do you happen to know the size of the torx/star bit that I'll need to get the gearbox drain plug out (it looks quite big) ooh apologies, heres another question, does the front diff share the gearbox oil or is there a seperate drain/filler for that?
My parents live up at Newton Stewart and I am going up there at half term (end of October) so please let me know your preferred booze and I'll drop you some off on my way up, I am serious! It's the least I can do
Its a tricky sequence to do if I'm honest, I tried it a couple of times today in a legacy, It may well have not been enabled on your vehicle or not quite quick enough. There has been at least 6 revisions of software since the car was brand new, or theres a distinct possibility that it does not have the oil counter as some didnt. Hard to say without the vehicle present infront of me.

You must keep you foot on the brake pedal at all times, you run through the sequence once then repeat it again but dont take your foot off the brakes
The glow plug light should have flashed a few times to say its completed the reset. The dpf light shouldnt come on.

The oil drain is a torq 60 size.
The front diff is part of the gearbox oil.

Honestly my good man its fine, I always like to assist where I can, Thanks for the offer its very kind though
Old 20 September 2013, 11:36 PM
btalbot1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Rob, I'll finish things tomorrow once I've got myself a T60 key and I'll try that sequence again, I must admit I was quite slow when I did it, I'll try it quicker.
I've enjoyed getting my hands dirty again and I wouldn't of got halfway through without your help, you've been briliant,thanks again and the offer still stands if you change your mind between now and halloween.