Sport Special Misfire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2013, 10:27 PM
Scoobysmeet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Special Misfire Issue

My wife's sport special has a small misfire. As you accelerate you can feel it missing and holding back slightly then it clears and is fine. The engine light comes on intermittently as well. The engine code flash test says knock sensor.
I thought that it would detect knock due to the mis fire? It's had new plugs, leads and pack. A service and been taken on a few long runs. If you get on a motorway and sit at 70, 80, 90 there is no mis fire and no engine light.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:47 AM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Maf? Does she run an aftermarket oiled panel filter?
Old 02 September 2013, 10:07 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

fuel filter?
Old 02 September 2013, 10:41 AM
Scoobysmeet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No only mod is a back box. I changed the fuel filter when I serviced it, and I don't remember seeing a maf sensor.
Old 02 September 2013, 04:55 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobysmeet
My wife's sport special has a small misfire. As you accelerate you can feel it missing and holding back slightly then it clears and is fine. The engine light comes on intermittently as well. The engine code flash test says knock sensor.
I thought that it would detect knock due to the mis fire? It's had new plugs, leads and pack. A service and been taken on a few long runs. If you get on a motorway and sit at 70, 80, 90 there is no mis fire and no engine light.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul.
Sounds like what mine went through after a major service, timing belt and water pump change. Luckily it turned out that the Scoob just needed a new knock and oxygen sensor, thereafter the Scoob ran at full potential and still is. Hope you sort the problem out soon.
Old 02 September 2013, 08:27 PM
Scoobysmeet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bushy-N/A
Sounds like what mine went through after a major service, timing belt and water pump change. Luckily it turned out that the Scoob just needed a new knock and oxygen sensor, thereafter the Scoob ran at full potential and still is. Hope you sort the problem out soon.
It's already had a full service. Would a sensor cause it to miss fire? Surely a knock sensor wouldn't cause a misfire?
Old 02 September 2013, 09:43 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobysmeet
It's already had a full service. Would a sensor cause it to miss fire? Surely a knock sensor wouldn't cause a misfire?
Well, I'm not saying that is the case with yours...

But with my Sport I would just slightly try and give it a bit more gas to speed up from 20 to 30 mph and the car would dip, misfire and shake quite badly. Plus it would feel like the car wasn't getting enough air at times and splutter under load. Going uphill was a mission and taking the A12 to work every day was a struggle. The slow lane was the order of the day for my trips.

I had it with the mechanic every single time it got worse, he couldn't figure it out, and eventually he told me to drive it as is as they couldn't get any error codes from the ECU.

So I did the manual CEL error check by connecting the adapters under the steering wheel. I then got 22 and 32 as the error codes. I was surprised, as I thought it couldn't be that, but after changing both sensors I found that it cleared the problem for me.

So with the major service, new water pump, complete new timing belt kit and both new sensors my Sport is treating me like a king. I have really molded into the seat and I've gotten to know my Scooby a lot better and it knows me now.