Notices

Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2013, 06:44 PM
McGuigan89
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice wanted

So after owning my 97 type r now for over a year its time for some modifications i have bought a couple off bits and pieces over the last year and still have a few to get and am looking a bit off advice so far i have gathered up:
Front mount intercooler
Hks induction kit
Alcatek ecu
3" decatted exhaust system

My main question really was am i gonna benefit anything really with the 3" exhaust rather than decatting my own 2.25" system when im not pushing for big bhp, i got the 3" system for good money when buying other parts so wouldnt mind selling it on.

Any advice or tips welcome, heres a picture off the car as she sits now for the sake off it
Old 01 September 2013, 08:53 PM
Keithys
Scooby Regular

Cant give you any advice on the tuning mate but that really is a tidy looking car im jealous lol
Old 01 September 2013, 09:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

2.5" exhaust probably spools quicker, maybe keep it unless you want a bigger turbo?
Old 01 September 2013, 09:30 PM
McGuigan89
Scooby Regular

Cheers Keithys a compliment like that is just as good as advice lol

Cheers alcazar thats a good point never thought off that, and no not after a bigger turbo at the min ill just stick with the standard
Old 01 September 2013, 10:40 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

your car looks awesome, good to see your still on orange indicators, keeping it 97!

Mods wise i'm a little unsure when it comes to type R's but assuming 280bhp stock, what is your goal in terms of power? I've heard a 2.5 inch exhaust is fine for upto around 300bhp and probably a little more, but if your going 350 plus i'd assume you'd be better with a 3".

Otherwise i'm not sure if you need a FMIC, i'd be more inclined to stick with a top mount from a later STI if your not chasing big power, also think you may be OK with just a decent panel in the stock airbox, i'd be inclined to get the ECU fitted along with a fully decatted exhaust and see where you end up. Though i'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon lol

Ps. if your stock STi intercooler is in good nick and you want to sell let me know
Old 01 September 2013, 11:03 PM
McGuigan89
Scooby Regular

cheers 328isport i think it looks far better with the orange indicators, clear one had crossed my mind im not gonna lie

Anything around 300 or slightly over atm would be nice, fitting the front mount now as the top mount is in a bit off a sorry state most of the fins are near closed and if i wanted to push into larger bhp at a later date at least its there when needed

cheers for the advice ever little helps
Old 01 September 2013, 11:33 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

No probs, mines a 97 also but a UK 4 door, had smoked indicators/side repeaters when i got it but have gone back to orange :-)

Oh i forgot if you haven't done it yourself so far or have receipts for a pretty recent change i'd put a new uprated fuel pump in

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2013, 12:43 PM
daiski
Scooby Regular

you know every now and then when a car stuns you ?.... wow mate thats lovely
Old 02 September 2013, 02:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by McGuigan89
cheers 328isport i think it looks far better with the orange indicators, clear one had crossed my mind im not gonna lie

Anything around 300 or slightly over atm would be nice, fitting the front mount now as the top mount is in a bit off a sorry state most of the fins are near closed and if i wanted to push into larger bhp at a later date at least its there when needed

cheers for the advice ever little helps
Except that that ISN'T a 97/8 bumper, it's facelift two, 99/00 one.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:05 PM
McGuigan89
Scooby Regular

cheers daiski that picture does it alot of justice
Old 03 September 2013, 11:28 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Re the exhaust comments above, the comment regarding 300+ needing a 3" is nonsense I'm afraid. I've seen cars with 2.5" exhausts make over 400 no problem, it's only upper 300's it *starts* to become restrictive so you'll be fine to sell your 3" system on.

I'd throw the HKS kit away and buy a good quality K&N one together with a cold air feed kit from the front fog cover to keep the supply of air nice and cold. The filtration on the HKS filters is reported to be poor in several tests, and I believe they still use oiled filters as well (?) which isn't great if that's true.

Just a word of advice - if you're going FMIC it'll be laggier so unless you're going bigger turbo you might actually be better off sticking with a better quality TMIC unless you're planning on bigger power and a 6 speed later.

The alcatek is certainly a big upgrade for such a small set of mods IMHO but it will help you get the maximum out of the car.

P.S. Lovely car

Last edited by MrNoisy; 03 September 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03 September 2013, 01:36 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

I was in same boat as you six months ago. I didnt want to fit a FMIC because i didn't want to cut into my bumper. If the bumper is not cut right it can look cheap and tatty.

My engine mods are:

Alcatek ecu (ALS & LC + 2 Maps)
Mapped by Simon @ JGM
Hayward & Scott Decat down pipe
Walbro Motorsport Fuel Pump
RCM Induction kit (Mafless setup)
Blitz Nur Spec R
NGK Spark Plugs (PFR7B)
Magnecor KV 85 Competition Leads

Old 03 September 2013, 01:39 PM
McGuigan89
Scooby Regular

Cheers MrNoisy for the detailed reply the exhaust will be for ebay this week as said id didnt cost me a fortune so what ever i get cango towards other things.

I took a quick look in to the filters before buying one prob should have asked on here before buying one, i read places they were good and place not so good so i bit the bullet one, ill try it out and see what happens.

Regarding the front mount, my own top mounts a state so a change of some description hada come, i had heard about them being laggy have no plans for a bigger turbo in the immediate future but the way i looked at it was at least if i buy a front mount now it'll save me buying at a later stage when i eventually go that way, same applied for the alcatek i was looking out for a power fc but it that came up at the time id heard good reports so in my opinion couldnt really pass it up.

Cheers for the advice much appreciated
Old 03 September 2013, 07:19 PM
McGuigan89
Scooby Regular

mnem1c thats a stunning looking car you have there, a P1 is the first subaru i remember seeing that stuck in my brain other that Bertie Fishers group A, to me at the time there wasnt much like it and they still look as good today as they did then.

considering painting the front bumper when i have it off but will still have til take alot of time cutting it correct